Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Professor Caroline

I tied my sneakers tight on Friday night as I prepared for a run. Never in a million years would I think I was going to be looking forward to a run on a Friday night, but I was. I felt like I had one of my best weeks in a while.

I had talked to the guy I met on Sunday, Scott, two days before and we discussed watching a game. He unfortunately wasn't around this past Sunday, because he actually went to the game at MetLife stadium, but I was glad I'd have a weekend to watch a game with my brother and try to pick up some football terminology.

I downloaded this new app that's designed to get you to comfortably run a 5K in as little as 5 weeks. I splurged a few bucks and bought it.

Another reason my week had been so exciting was that I met with Dr. O'Conner Thursday and he asked something kind of huge from me.

"Hi, Caroline. Thanks for stopping by. Please, have a seat."

I nervously sat on his leather couch. What could he have to talk about that was so important he made an appointment for the same day he emailed me? He always gave me days notice and insisted that he was in "no rush," but this time was different.

"How are you?" I asked while trying to refrain from bitting on my bottom lip, a terrible habit I'm trying to break as I establish new and improved  Caroline 2.0.

"I know you have a day job," he began, without answering my question. "But is there anyway you'd be available the first Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of November?"

I didn't know where he was going with this, but I quickly shook the surprised look off of my face. "Uh, yeah. I have vacation days saved up." While I didn't love the idea of using my vacation days, which I could trade in for an extra pay check, on whatever strange project Dr. O'Conner had for me, he had been so flexible with me and he seemed like he needed me for something important.

"Okay, that would be fantastic," he said with so much enthusiasm you'd think I just agreed to surrogate his child. "I have a conference in Texas. I wasn't supposed to be going, but this student bailed out. She says she doesn't feel comfortable getting on the plane." He let out a heavy sigh. "She says she's scared of getting Ebola. I don't know." He waved his hands as an end to his tangent. "Anyway, that's not important. This is where you come in. I need someone to cover my freshmen classes."

My eyes suddenly widened. Someone to cover his classes? "Since you've helped me with all the work, the department said I could have you go through the lectures with them. All graduate students can technically teach courses for their supervising professors, but it's somewhat frowned upon when done on a regular basis."

"Um," I began, hoping the words would magically form, but then he cut me off.

"You want to go into academia, right?"

His question kind of caught me off guard. Yes, I wanted to go into research. And yes, I was excited about the idea of being at a university where I could also teach. But all of this was a ways down the road. I didn't feel ready for all of this, but what other choice did I have?

We briefly went over the preparations for the November classes and he gave me print outs of his power points. Easy enough, right?

I was pretty nervous the rest of the day, but I have plenty of time to prepare and I was flattered that he chose me out of all his graduate assistants, including some who are in the phd program. I guess I'm doing something right.

Later that night, I got a Snapchat from Steve. Remember him? The young fraternity kid? A few days after we met, he added me on Snapchat and I am so glad he did. He sent out the funniest Snapchats that were definitely characteristic of his hipster sense of humor. That night, it was a guy walking around in UGG boots with the words, "White Girl Weather." I chuckled. 

I decided to send him a Snapchat back. I took a selfie with a goofy face and my hair in a messy bun. "What if I were your professor?" I wrote and positioned the words over the pimple forming on my chin.

He sent back a selfie with a thumbs up and the words "I'd ace that class." It felt weird that I'd be lecturing these kids, with no real teaching experience, when I was only a few years older than them. I didn't even elaborate on what I was talking about with Steve, but maybe I'll pick his brain for some advice when the time comes.

So in addition to this opportunity, I've been eating healthy, exercising, on top of my school work, and getting ample quality time with friends and family. Everything seems to be working out. I stretched by my front door before deciding to start running. Maybe I'd mix it up between jogging and running because I damn sure can't run for more than about five minutes straight. Judge me, okay? If there's a zombie apocalypse, I'm going down. But hey, I'm trying to improve.

I continued through random streets around my house, trying to avoid main roads but having to go on a few. As I ran off of one, I could hear a loud honk over the music from my iPod. I ignored it but then I felt like there was a car driving slow behind me. "This is why people can't run outside," I thought to myself.

I couldn't help but look to my left as the car slowed down next to me. My jaw dropped.

There was Justin, smiling at me from behind the wheel.

10 comments:

  1. dont even look at him now.. just keep running. I think you made your point earlier when you told him you were done. HE ended things. He can fuck right off. and get hit by a truck.

    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes. Regardless, it kind of sucks to run into an ex when you're all sweating from running :-/

      Delete
    2. Hahaha. Best comment ever. Loving the blog!

      Delete
    3. Thank you Deena and Reese :)

      Delete
  2. LOVED this post!! I really need to use it as inspiration to run myself. Also, I like how Caroline will be taking on this new responsibility, how exciting and challenging at the same time!

    As for Justin, no comment. Keep running girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked hearing about her school responsibilities. Sometimes it seems people only want to hear about dating, but I'm trying to provide a good overview of everything going on in her life. So thanks :)

      As far as Justin, return Friday to see :)

      Delete
  3. Chris - @nylonlover69 on TwitterOctober 15, 2014 at 11:33 AM

    Take us where you want your story to go, but I agree with the two previous comments about Justin, to keep running would be your best choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to ruin anything, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with the outcome :)

      Delete
  4. Go away Justin lol isn't it always like that, things are going great and then BAM the ex shows up and ruins everything!

    http://lifebysarahxo.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete