Friday, January 10, 2014

My Girlz


New Year’s Eve left its toll on most of us for a few days, so my girlfriends and I thought we would do something low key Saturday night. We decided to grab dinner at a restaurant known for its fattening and cheap appetizers. I attempted my first sock bun for the occasion. As much as I resent it, I do like to try new things in the New Year. Maybe if I try out enough hairstyles I’ll find one that I absolutely love. I hope to use the same strategy to find a man.

When I got the one word text message reading, "Here," I said goodbye to my parents who were watching a movie in the living room and scurried out the door. My three girlfriends were already in the car when I got in.

"He's just a total douche bag, psycho and I never want to speak to him again," exclaimed my friend, Jessica, from the front seat.

Darlene, who was in the back seat with me, mouthed "Josh" and I quickly understood the general topic of the conversation. Josh was Jessica's toxic on-again, off-again boyfriend. I guess this month she was swearing him off.

"Seriously, unfollow him on Instagram and block his number," Anna responded. "You can do it right from your iPhone now!"

Jessica, Darlene, and Anna are my three closest friends. Over the years, our group fluctuated in size but shortly after college, it was basically us four. We all had other friends, but the group chat with these three gals made up about 80% of my texting. While my other friends were off with their serious boyfriends or really focused on their careers in New York City, I always had these three to hang out with over the weekends.

The restaurant was only five minutes from my house but by the time we exited the car, I was already done hearing about Josh. Jessica always complained about him and while her complaints were warranted, it became tiresome to fake a happy expression weeks later when she told us they were giving it another shot. She would defend his actions and we were required to reinforce her delusions. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to give her my honest opinion, but Jessica is not the type of person who takes criticism well. Jessica was going to do what Jessica wanted to do and not only did our opinions not matter, but they were interpreted as unfair judgments.

Jessica was always the pretty friend. Whenever we went out, the hottest guy in the bar would hit on her and it didn’t even faze her. She could basically have any guy she wanted, so naturally she went for the most unattainable men. She had a lot of boyfriends over the years, but somehow ended up wasting most of her time on the difficult ones, like Josh. I think she secretly likes the excitement of it all. A nice, normal guy just doesn’t give her the same rush as the crazy ones.

The restaurant was packed with people, but the hostess led us to a booth (score!) in the back right away. I immediately opened the menu and scanned the appetizers. Spinach and artichoke dip, you are mine.

“So, I’ve been texting the boy from New Year’s Eve,” squealed Anna. I wanted to high five her across the table for steering the conversation away from Josh.

“He wasn’t put off when you ditched him to puke in the bathroom?” I jokingly asked. On New Year’s Eve, Anna started talking to this cute, 6-foot tall boy shortly after midnight. I was sitting at the table when I saw them exchange numbers before each taking a shot. As soon as she slammed the glass on the bar, she made a disgusted face before scurrying off to the bathroom. He looked so confused and it made me want to run to the bar to console him with a hug.

“No,” Anna shot back at me with a stern look. For a second I thought she was actually mad at me but then she cracked a smile. Phew. “He said he had a really great time and wants to do something this week.”

Anna nabbed her first boyfriend senior year of high school and dated him throughout college. He was okay. I never thought he treated her that great and I encouraged her to break up with him multiple times. Of course, what did I know? As we started our last semester of college, she finally ended it. At first, I saw her struggle. I mean Anna was never really single before. She had no idea how it worked, having been in a relationship for almost five years. I honestly give her a lot of credit.

“That’s exciting,” replied Darlene with authentic enthusiasm. “Now who wants to split the mozzarella sticks with me?”

This is why Darlene is my absolute favorite. She could be legitimately happy for you while still focused on the important things, like food. Darlene is my oldest friend. We sat next to each other in fifth grade and our friendship was practically instant. Darlene never had a boyfriend. I always felt like she just lacked confidence, so she didn’t get as much attention from guys. I could tell it used to bother her but as we get older, boys have started to notice her more and more. I don’t know if they’re growing up or if she’s growing comfortable in her own skin. Either way, I’m all for it.

Dinner that night was rather uneventful, but the food was good and there was an abundance of laughter. I truly love these three girls with every bone in my body. We have all always been there for each other when it really matters. I’m not going to lie though; these girls frustrate me at times. But who doesn’t want to abandon their friends and move to Mexico sometimes?

And yes, the spinach and artichoke dip was absolutely amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment