Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Brotherly Advice

"Maybe you didn't want to see it," my brother said after nearly swallowing his second taco whole.

I rolled my eyes at him. "I'm sorry, I thought you were taking me out for getting my master's in psychology. Not the other way around."

He half laughed at me. "I'm just saying," he began. "You researched the company before calling. I know you're more obsessive than a dog with a bone. How did you miss that they're located across the country."

Well, he had a point there. "I already told you," I began before taking a long sip of my strawberry margarita. Damn, it was strong, but also delicious; a dangerous combination for me. "I researched the company. I looked at employee reviews, the website for general information on benefits, and a few other details. But I figured she knew I was from New York so she would've mentioned that the job would require a move for me." I knew it all sounded dumb, but it was the truth. "I just figured New York is the center of everything. I mean, what big company doesn't have an office in New York?"

"I can name one," my brother said, grabbing the salsa and moving it closer to him.

It's weird, but ever since my brother got engaged, we've gotten closer. He insisted on taking me out to dinner for my graduation, even though we had a family dinner the day I actually graduated.

I told my brother about the possible job, but made him swear not to tell my parents. My dad never liked the idea of my siblings and I growing up, so I didn't feel like preparing him yet for something that might not even happen. I knew my mom would be more accepting of it, even if she wanted me to continue living in New York.

I was more nervous to tell Scott, though.

"Listen, you guys will work something out," my brother encouraged me when I voiced that concern. "If Linda got an opportunity like this, I would immediately provide my support."

"Yeah, but I'm going to have to move," I responded. "Plus, you guys are engaged now. We haven't been dating that long, so this could be it for us."

"Well," my brother began as he diverted eye contact with me. "It sounds like you're kind of okay with that."

"I'm not!" I immediately protested. I turned red as soon as the words came out of my mouth. "I mean," I continued as I quieted my voice. "I want to stay together. I do. I just know it's improbable if I get the job." I leaned back and rested my upper back against the booth. "If I get the job," I repeated with a weak laugh. "I'm probably making a big deal for nothing."

"I think you're going to get it, but you're right. You always worry about shit that usually doesn't even happen. Just wait until you have an interview, an in person interview, before you stress Scott out for no reason."

I took my brother's advice. I know I wasn't hiding anything real from Scott, but I still felt like I was betraying him in a way. I mean, I tell Scott everything so not telling him about this huge opportunity just felt wrong.

That's partially why I was so excited and relieved when I got an email from Lillian a few days later. She had told me that ordinarily they set up a phone interview followed by a final in person interview, but since she had met me and already talked to me, her boss wanted to skip ahead to the in person interview. Lillian had written a lot of information in the email.

"My supervisor is going to be in New York for business next week, so he thought it would be easiest to do the final interview in Manhattan. Of course, this means you won't get to see the building and get a feel for the environment, so if you'd prefer we can fly you here the following week."

Both options had their pros and cons, but being given the choice definitely made me feel more confident about my chances of getting the job. I decided that I didn't want to wait longer than necessary, even if that meant not getting to fly to California, so I wrote back that I was comfortable with the New York interview.

Even though it took me several hours to respond, Lillian emailed me back within minutes. She provided me with the proposed interview location and time. After I confirmed that this was fine, she responded with three little words that gave me butterflies.

"Excellent. Good luck!"

I wasn't sure if the good luck wish was an indication that her boss was going to be tough, but I told myself not to worry. The important thing to do now was the thing I was both excited and anxious to do; tell Scott.

I called him up. It was about 4 o'clock on a Friday, so he was probably just getting ready to leave work. Just when I thought it was going to go to voicemail, he answered with a tired, "Hey."

"Hey, babe!" I responded. "Want to come to my house after work and we can grab some dinner?"

"Um," Scott began and I immediately felt irritated. I wasn't irritated with him, but I really wanted to finally tell him about this news I had been bottling up! After what felt like an hour, but was realistically 7 seconds, Scott agreed.

"Okay, I'll pick you up from the train station!" I excitedly responded.

"Sounds great, babe," Scott replied. "I can't wait to see you. I miss you."

My heart melted at this sentiment. I know it wasn't particularly special, but Scott isn't always super verbal with his feelings. "I can't wait to see you either," I said back.

I didn't know what to expect, but I really did not want this talk to break us up.

2 comments:

  1. Caroline is being unreasonable and hypocritical. She wouldn't like it if Scott was interviewing and thinking about moving away and didn't say a word until weeks later. She's irritated because he didn't jump at her offer to hang out and hesitated a few seconds. Newsflash: he's a work and probably had a shitty day. Be more considerate. It's obvious Scott isn't that important to her. She can call him her best friend and say that they talk about everything but obviously that isn't the case. Such a big decision and she's remained mum until now when she's getting close to make a choice. I think she's really screwed up. Just because we as readers are not invested in Scott doesn't mean that Caroline can do whatever she wants with no regard for his feelings. Why lead the man on? I've been questioning her actions since she called Mike from the pizza place. Shady as hell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You raise some valid points. Thanks for commenting and I hope you like where the story goes! (Regardless of how you feel about Caroline lol)

      Delete