Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentine Schmalentine



Saturday night, I gripped the belt loops of my jeans, jumping and wiggling to fit into my tightest pair. I settled on a ruffled black top to go with them because the loose fit of the shirt hid the love handles that the jeans gave me. Our train was leaving at 8:12 and it was almost 7. The girls were on their way so we could hang out and have some wine beforehand. I mean, how lame would it be to show up sober?

The guys suggested a trendy bar in New York City that had about thirty different seasonal beers on tap. I hadn’t talked to Evan at all since we didn’t exchange numbers, but I was crossing all my fingers and toes that he would be there.

I was lying on my bed catching my breath (let’s face it, getting into tight jeans should be an Olympic sport) when I heard the doorbell ring downstairs. I didn’t move as I heard my mom let my friends in.

“Hey… What’s the matter?” Darlene asked when she saw my exhausted expression. She was holding a bottle of wine with four solo cups on top.

“Nothing,” I exclaimed as I shot up. Anna and Jessica both walked in behind her as they texted on their phones.

“I am so excited,” Jessica squealed as she looked up. “Kyle said the guys are heading over there around 9 so we’re good.” Jessica and Kyle, Evan’s friend, had been texting all week.

Anna let out a heavy sigh. We all looked at her for a moment until she looked up from her phone. “Sorry,” she mumbled. “I’m just annoyed with Tony.” Tony was the same guy from New Year’s Eve. The same guy that completely ditched Anna, and us, the weekend before. Anna had given him another chance, but apparently he wasn’t redeeming himself. “I’m getting with someone tonight,” Anna announced as she grabbed the cups and wine from Darlene.

I looked over at Darlene and rolled my eyes as Jessica helped Anna open the wine. Anna usually came off as annoyingly confident when we went out but we slowly realized that this was because she needed a lot of validation. She even intruded on our men of interest sometimes just to prove to herself that she could get with anyone she wanted. I don’t think it was intentional, but still. The night was off to a grand start.

We arrived at Penn Station with a slight buzz and immediately got a taxi. Even though I live so close to the city, I don’t know it as well as I should. I would never be able to successfully take a subway anywhere, which makes me feel like a European tourist rather than a legal New York resident. I knew the address for us to give the taxi driver so whatever.

As soon as we arrived at the bar, Jessica spotted Kyle out of the crowd. I scanned the area around him for Evan but sadly didn’t see him. I decided to drown my sorrows with Anna at the bar. I hadn’t even settled on a beer from their unique menu when Anna began flirting with an older man sitting near us.

“Caroline, this guy said we need to try the Blizzard Ale,” she slurred as she poked me on the shoulder.

I pressed my lips together and took a deep breath. Don’t be mean, Caroline. “Okay,” I said, trying to be cheery. Anna’s new friend ordered three of them. I looked down to get money and when I looked up, I was suddenly face to face with Evan. I let out an accidental gasp.

“Oh… Sorry,” Evan said putting his hands up. “I didn’t mean to startle you,” he continued with an awkward laugh.

“No, no,” I exclaimed a little too immediate and loud. I let out a little laugh and he smiled.

“You want a drink?” he asked pointing to the bar. As I opened my mouth to answer, Anna knocked into me and I almost fell on Evan, practically touching his crotch. Ugh, could this encounter be any more awkward?

Anna began slurring an apology as she handed me my beer. “He said it’s on him,” she bragged. I turned away from her towards Evan.

“Um, I’ll get next round?” I suggested.

Evan laughed and flirtatiously grazed my arm as he moved closer. “You’re a funny one,” he said. Well, be still my beating heart! I took a sip of my Blizzard Ale to hide the embarrassing smile spreading across my face. Damn, it was a good beer.

I didn’t have much time to bask in my glory before Anna walked over. She looked directly at Evan. “Have you tried this beer? It actually tastes like you’re in a blizzard.” I could feel my face getting warm. I wasn’t embarrassed anymore. I felt enraged. It’s not that Anna ever really succeeded in stealing guys away from any of us, but she made it uncomfortable enough to ruin the moment. Serious girl code violation! I would not allow this with Evan.

“Anna, I think Jessica is looking for you,” I blurted out. Anna looked puzzled. I thought she was about to call me out of my bluff, when she suddenly walked off without saying a word. I don’t know if she was really drunk or finally took a hint but regardless, I was grateful.

Evan ordered a beer for himself and we made some small talk. He was polite and attentive, just as he was when we first met. The rest of our friends eventually joined us.

I wanted Evan to kiss me at the end of the night. I wanted him to ask for my number. I wanted any type of move, but nothing. I refuse to give up hope.

I woke up this morning to the sun’s reflection on the bright snow. I also woke up to a text message.

“Happy Valentine’s Day. I miss you.”

It was from Mike.

9 comments:

  1. Chris - @nylonlover69 on TwitterFebruary 14, 2014 at 12:22 PM

    Seriously Mike? Six months later? Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for the next post! I'm so gonna add this to my list of fav blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your writing style! Can't wait for the next post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay. I am always extremely disappointed when I find a new blog so early in when it is soo good. Keep up the good work though :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the blog so far! Keep up the good work - more frequency of posts though please?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping to start posting more soon when I have a little more time.

      Delete
  6. Really enjoying the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really loving it! Are you going to post more regularly??

    ReplyDelete