Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Beer Olympics

After a grueling week at work and zero time in the sunny weather, I was happy Friday when Moose texted me. We hadn't talked much since I saw him at the bar over the winter, but that wasn't unusual since he went to school in Queens. He wanted to have everyone over for a Saturday afternoon 'Beer Olympics.' I happily accepted.

Justin and I had been talking all week but we hadn't made plans to see each other. I like Justin but I'm not sure if I'm ready for a relationship. Unfortunately, since I slept with him, I fear my lady hormones will influence me if I spend too much time with him. For my own good, I kept myself busy with work and GRE prepping. He seemed busy, too, so it worked out.

Saturday, the girls and I went to Moose's house. My hair was braided, because I was ready to compete. We had the same number of guys and girls, so all the girls pulled guy names out of a hat to make teams.

I picked Moose.

He came over to me and slung his arm around me. "Let's kill 'em," he said with a smile. Moose seemed so not his awkward self and I was loving it. Maybe things would stop being so weird between us.

First, Moose had organized an intricate series of beer pong match ups. Of course, since I'm really good at distracting the other team and Moose is amazing at sinking the last cup every game, we dominated here. On Long Island, if you don't regularly play beer pong over the summer, you pretty much don't exist.

Next, we started playing land mines. Considering this game involves downing whole beers, I began to stubble after we made it through this round. I persistently clutched onto Moose to stable myself and he didn't seem to mind.

Moose and I were soon in the championship round. Anna walked over to me. "What's going on between you two?" she asked as her eyes practically jumped out of their sockets.

"Nothing," I giggled, but as I retreated to the bathroom before the last round, I found Moose following me.

"Let's skip the game," he whispered behind me.

I turned to him, completely oblivious to what he meant. "No," I yelped, stomping my feet. "We're so close to winning!"

Moose brushed my hair behind my shoulder. "I don't care," he said as he moved his face closer to mine. He was inches away from me, when we both stopped at the sound of my phone ringing. I'm a pretty polite person and normally, I would ignore the call, but when I get drunk, I don't always oblige by social norms.

I inappropriately giggled and took out my phone. Justin was calling me.

"I'm sorry," I started. "I should answer."

Moose looked hurt at first. Then, annoyed. He rolled his eyes before muttering, 'whatever,' and walking away.

The call realistically prevented a catastrophe. Kissing Moose would cause serious tension.

2 comments:

  1. Chris - @nylonlover69 on TwitterJune 11, 2014 at 9:48 AM

    Meh... people(guys n gals both) who feel awkward and crush on other members of their group will always end up with hurt feelings. Sounds like Moose is that guy, and so be it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well then I can't wait to see how this goes!!

    ReplyDelete