Friday, July 25, 2014

A Ring On It

I tried to be subtle as I jabbed Anna in the ribs.

"Ow!" She screeched at me. "What gives?"

I put my finger to my lips to shush her when I noticed Rachel look at me, then at Doug and Darlene, and then back at me with a knowing look.

She leaned close to me and whispered, "it's not what it looks like." Then she loudly said she had to use the restroom and asked if I needed to go as well. I didn't, but of course I agreed to go. I needed the low down.

Once in the restroom, Rachel pulled out red lipstick and began to reapply. Of course she wore lipstick. She was such a pretty, put together, adult lady. I made a mental note to purchase lipstick before starting my Assistantship.

"So," she began after a few seconds of silence as she pressed her lips together. "I'm guessing from your horrified look you saw Doug's wedding ring?" I nodded. Why was she so casual about this? Did he regularly flirt (and grope) coworkers at work functions? Did they have an open marriage or some other new age arrangement, that I didn't understand?

Rachel turned to me and for the first time that evening, her eyes looked sad. "He's a widower," she finally said.

Oh.

"Wow," was all I could manage to mutter out. "But he's so..."

"Young?" Rachel asked, cutting me off. I nodded. "Yeah, it's kind of a sad story," she began, turning to the mirror again to fix the placement of her eyelashes. "He married his high school sweetheart. They were together for six years when they got married the summer after college graduation. He started working for a big liquor company in their marketing department. She was a paralegal, I think, planning to go to law school after they saved some money. They wanted to buy a house in New Jersey and start a family." Rachel turned to me. I could tell she had told this story multiple times and expected particular reactions at certain milestones in the tale.

"How did she, um, pass?" I asked, knowing she wanted me to probe before she'd continue.

Rachel let out a heavy sigh. It was a little over dramatic and I could tell that, as sad as it was, she enjoyed telling this story.

"She went out one night and drank too much. He was out of town that night for business. Someone might've slipped her something, too. I don't know. He doesn't really like to talk about it much, but over the years he's given me bits and pieces of the story. Plus, you know how gossipy people can be." She supported her body against the sink and held a dead gaze on the floor.

"Wow," I mumbled. I felt like such a brat for thinking Doug was a sleaze, not that I could have ever in a million years guessed his story. "Makes you think."

"Oh, yeah," Rachel responded, her eyes getting big again. "He immediately quit his job, not that the company expected him to stay. I mean, the product he was advertising for killed his wife. It took him about a year to look for work again, but when he did, he came to our company. I guess he felt like he would be doing some good." Darlene's company, which I won't mention by name, definitely promotes a healthier lifestyle. "He talks about getting into non profit one day, but I don't know. He likes it here a lot."

"So," I began, still curious about one thing. "How long has he been wearing the ring?"

Rachel picked up her bag. "Let's see," she said, clearly giving it some thought. "That happened when he was 23 and he turned 29 in March. So six years? I remember when he got drunk once, he admitted to me that he was going to take it off when he turned 30. That's when he'd be ready to get serious with a girl again. Anyway, they're going to think we're weirdos if we don't get back out there."

As I followed Rachel out of the bathroom, my head began to spin. I couldn't even imagine losing my boyfriend, let alone husband, especially at such a young age. I'm 23! The things Doug had to face at my age were no joke. I don't know if I would ever recover if something like that happened to me now. It really put my petty problems into perspective.

Once I got to the bar, I found Anna giggling with the bartender. Doug and Darlene were nowhere to be found.

"Where is everyone?" I asked Anna.

"Oh," Anna began. "I think they went outside for some air."

I rolled my eyes. Doug and Darlene could clearly do whatever they wanted, especially now that I knew the situation, but how much did Darlene know? While she had a tough exterior, she didn't always handle messy, romantic situations that well. If she hooked up with a guy, she kind of went, well, crazy. And I hate when guys call girls crazy, but Darlene expected way too much from guys even if they were completely upfront about their intentions. All I knew was that I had to find her and see where her head was at.

I walked outside the bar, with Rachel and Anna by my side. Darlene had her back against a brick wall, giggling, with Doug leaning in close and whispering in her ear. It looked intimate, but salvageable. I had an opportunity to talk to Darlene about the situation before she did anything she may or may not regret.

Just then, I heard my phone ding. It was a text from Justin. He was in Connecticut visiting family for the weekend and told me he'd be in and out of swimming pools all afternoon, so he wouldn't be checking his phone much.

"Where are you in a dress like that?" I guess he saw the picture on Darlene's Instagram.

14 comments:

  1. Ugh, first time poster here, but I gotta say, I was never a fan of Justin. Just that last text he sent, shows some really controlling vibes (which he's been giving off since after their first date). She better get out while she still can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I love hearing from you guys, especially when it's you're first time posting :). I definitely think the jury is still out on Justin, but I think only time will tell with this one...

      Delete
  2. Um, I wouldn't say Justin is controlling. Sometimes tones hard to get across in text. Her friends commented about her outfit in the last post. Makes you wonder if she's all in with Justin. The widower storyline is similar to another blog I'm reading. I don't know how I feel about that. Both Lukas and Doug are nice, successful men that married young, lost their wives at a young age and are moving on. I think and I might be wrong that you got the widower idea from the other blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure which blog you're referring to, but I'm sorry if this seems copied! When I first started blogging, I felt like another writer was taking some details, big and small, from my storyline. It definitely bothered me, so please know that this was purely coincidental. I actually take most of my ideas from personal experience, because I feel like it's more real that way. I don't intend for the Doug storyline to be major anyway, so hopefully our overlap is minimum.

      Thanks for your comment, though! Justin is definitely complex. I like that people have different opinions about him!

      Delete
    2. I think she's referring to Life's Greatest Journey. There are many similarities and I too thought the same when I read about Doug.

      Delete
    3. I just googled that. Is it the same as crazyadventuresinny? Because that's on my list of blogs to catch up on! I know she reads my blog, so hopefully she sees this comment and knows it was not intentional at all! Like I said, that storyline is only a supporting one, so this shouldn't be an issue in the future.

      Delete
  3. Hey Caroline - The only similarities between our characters is they are both widowers. I enjoy your blog and I don't think that you are copying my storylines or anything like that!! We are all writing about 20 somethings and sometimes there will be similarities!! I think as bloggers we need to support and encourage each other:) Similarities will always be there and they aren't intentional!!!! I personally liked this post a lot and can't to read what's going to happen next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I just started reading your blog from the beginning so expect some comments :)

      Delete
  4. Well I have gotten a little behind on my reading but glad I was able to catch up.. I'm glad Doug isn't with his wife anymore although it's sad she passed.. I like Justin, I don't feel he is controlling much but idk I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the sort of text my now-husband would have sent when we were still dating. Of course I am equally jealous, and we were much more serious, much faster than Justin and....oh god, it's a Friday and I am gone on a rum vacation. What's the character's name?!! Caroline? Or is that the author? Whatever.. lol Point is, this can be creepy or sweet. We'll see. Also, Ms. Author, may I be rude and ask your age? I've recently discovered that some of my favorite bloggers are significantly older than I thought.

    And of course, click the photo for both of my blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes the character's name is Caroline, but I made this account with that name as well! And I'm actually 24, a year older than Caroline, and I write her story based on where I was a year ago! Her birthday will actually be the same as mine and the birthdays of other characters basically follow the birthdays of my actual friends. (Just another fun fact :-p)

      Delete
    2. That's a fun way to blog, base it on your life. Mine would've made a good blog when I was 19/20. But now, being 23 and married, life gets a whole lot less crazy and interesting. lol
      This is a fun blog to follow, keep up the good work!

      thecrazyobservatory.blogspot.com
      crazygirlsmanicures.blogspot.com

      Delete
    3. Thanks! I'll be checking out your blog next :)!

      Delete
  6. Love it. I don't think Justin seems controlling, just seems to like her. My hubby would have done the same thing.
    I'm sad for Doug! I can't imagine going through that.
    I think your blog is fabulous, and as far as copying other blogs... i don't see that at all! Similarity or not I think you are very original!

    http://lovelifela.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete