Friday, July 18, 2014

Rain, rain, go away...

"Things have to clear up soon," I thought to myself as I walked to my car the morning after I met with Jessica. It was still raining on and off, which would have been fine if it was helping with the humidity at all, which it was not.

Once at work, I made myself a cup of coffee and grabbed a cookie dough protein bar from my secret hiding spot in the manager's office. (If I don't hide them, Todd eats them all). I didn't have that much to do that day, so I sat in the office for a few hours trying to keep boredom away. I luckily had some reading to do to prepare for my assistantship, which occupied a solid couple of hours. By four o'clock, I was happy to be done.


However, when I went home, I realized that the boredom of the day had followed me. Since I had the time to kill, I decided I would go to the grocery store and finally make one of those recipes I have saved on my Pinterest board. 
I bought cauliflower, along with a few other key ingredients, so I could make buffalo roasted cauliflower to throw over a salad. It seemed easy enough. I really don't have a lot of cooking experience, so it felt good to at least try to broaden my horizons.

As I walked through the isles with my basket, I thought about the situation with my friends. It really seemed like Jessica was going to be split from the group for a while. This genuinely concerned me. I definitely didn't want to lose touch with her, especially if Josh went cray cray again, but I didn't know what to do. Jessica doesn't always listen to reason. Even though she once dismissed a guy Anna was talking to because he mentioned his ex-girlfriend on the first date, Jessica always seemed to make excuses for Josh. Jessica had a good head on her shoulders and she dated some nice guys. I just didn't get it.


I arrived home and plopped the two grocery bags on my kitchen counter. I stalled for a moment there, looking out my kitchen window and biting my lip. It was time.


I took out my phone to send a text to Darlene and Anna. I needed to tell them what Jessica had told me and see how they felt about it. I personally thought it was best to give her some space, but I wanted their input in case I was being bias. After reading over the lengthy text message a few times, I sent it.


Darlene sent the first text back. "WHAT?" I began to elaborate with more details from the conversation I had with Jessica, while obviously leaving out anything I didn't think she would want me to share. After a few exchanges, Anna chimed in. While she felt really terrible, Darlene was simply angry.


I looked out at the rain. It had to clear up soon.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Caroline, as a writer you should always present your story to the best of your ability. Saying that people want anything to read diminishes your ability and makes it sound like you're no longer trying to put out quality posts. If you are unable to do two posts per week, why not do one long quality post? I think your readers would appreciate it that far more than posts that are not your best work. I enjoy your blog but find that since the hiatus the quality has decreased substantially and the story lines aren't really appealing. It seems very high school to me how this story is going. That's just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I didn't make this clear in my writer's note, but I have also been unhappy with the quality of my posts. It didn't just become clear to me through comments, but it was reinforced through some feedback.

      Delete
  2. Writing a blog isn't easy at all. You constantly have to come up with interesting storylines and twists. Sometimes as bloggers, we are much harder on ourselves than our readers are. And sometimes life gets in the way and we don't have as much time to dedicate to our writing. Your readers understand that and support you no matter what. I've read your blog but haven't commented much because I've been all types of busy but I think you're doing a great job:)

    http://crazyadventuresinny.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm going to check out your blog right now :)

      Delete
  3. You will never please everyone, No matter how awesome the post may be. Thats why you should write post that make you happy! And I know I'm going to continue to read :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sometimes I forget about all the people who don't comment but keep coming back. Hopefully I can do even better though!

      Delete
  4. If you're not in to it why are you continuing with the blog?

    After the hiatus your writing has suffered, what changed?

    Are you writing from experience or is this blog fictional?

    The story lines lately seem childish and like the characters are in high school instead of their 20s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comment :) I always want to address any concerns I can.

    I honestly considered not coming back. I have a lot on my plate and it actually may have been irresponsible for me to even start a blog at that point in my life. However, I really wanted to continue blogging. I just think I came back a little too early. I was still extremely busy, but as of lately, my time management skills have improved! I actually went back and touched up some of my more recent posts (the ones after the hiatus), so check those out if you have time :). I feel like tomorrow's post will return us to the style of the 'older' posts. I feel in the zone again!

    As far as if this blog is fiction or reality, I have to say it is fiction but I'm a firm believer in writing what you know. While I wasn't comfortable writing about my friends and family in a completely nonfictional way, I am writing from experience. That may have been another problem with the more recent posts. I was steering away from past experiences. But like I said, I hope you start enjoying my blog again! I think I'm back in the groove again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy your blog immensely. I think that you are a great writer! Everyone has off days & you can't please everyone! Don't give up :)

    http://lovelifela.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete