Thursday, August 27, 2015

Engagement Party: Part One

I began helping my mom with setting up the house for the engagement party as soon as I got home. After a few hours, the rest of my family and Scott had arrived. We ordered in a bunch of Chinese food and sat outside stuffing our faces. It was really more of a meeting than a dinner. My mom wanted to go over everything that still needed to be done to prep for the party. Why did I agree to come home early for this thing? As soon as my brother asked to have it at the house, my mom has been super stressed.

Linda didn't come over until after dinner and she barely said hello to me as she passed Scott and I in the living room. She had this pout on her face and Sam seemed really on edge around her. I don't know if they had been like this before, but now that Theresa pointed it out, it seemed like a totally different relationship. Linda and Sam sat down at the kitchen table and while I couldn't see them from where Scott and I were sitting, I could hear them. They were making the favors and Linda was complaining.

"Annie told her she should just show up since we're not paying per plate. If she comes, I'm going to be really stressed out." I had no idea who Annie was or who the potential party crasher was, but I put my finger to my lips and mimed for Scott to be quiet. "Then, Larissa texted me and asked if I was going to have tents. Does she really think I would have a backyard engagement party and not have tents? This isn't some shitty barbecue."

My brother was just blindly agreeing with her. The things she was saying weren't really rubbing me the wrong way, but her entire attitude towards us was very bratty. My mom had made the house look awesome over the past couple of weeks and I don't think I've heard Linda thank my mom once. If it weren't for my sister's insight, I would just assume that I hadn't been around enough to see it. I was really beginning to wonder how this engagement party was going to go down.

"Wow," Scott whispered to me and that was all he had to say.

"Right?" I asked as I furrowed my eyebrows. "Promise if I'm ever that crazy, you'll put me in my place."

"Deal," Scott replied a little too quick. "Now, let's get you home to my bed."

A smile instantly formed on my face. "Yes, sir," I replied. Even though I felt bloated from the Chinese food and tired from my long day, there wasn't anything that would keep me from jumping this kid's bones.

I said goodbye to my parents and changed into my pajamas before heading out the door. I was so tired of packing and unpacking, that I threw my toothbrush in my purse and didn't bring another thing with me. We were only sleeping at Scott's house before heading back to my house in the morning to get ready.

The day of the engagement party, everything seemed to be set. Scott and I stopped for bagels before arriving at my house. When we walked inside, my parents and sister were sitting at the table talking and drinking coffee. My brother woke up a little while later and when my mom asked him to do a simple task, he made such a huge deal about it.

"Yeah, everyone else can just sit around and do nothing," he said and I swear, I practically gasped. I know I wasn't home, but my sister and parents had been working a lot to get the house ready.

As my brother stormed out into the backyard, my sister spoke up first. "Where's Linda anyway? She's the one putting all this stress on him and I bet she's not even going to come over and help!"

My parents remained quiet and I respected their choice not to engage in the gossip about their future daughter-in-law. My dad stood up and said he was going to talk to him.

Of course, just as my sister predicted, Linda showed up an hour before the party was scheduled to start. It wouldn't have bothered me too much if she didn't start immediately pointing out all the things she wanted changed.

Before I moved to California, I hadn't spent that much time with Linda. I don't know if she put up a good front or if I was just oblivious, but regardless, I was seeing a completely different side to her. I asked Scott if I was being crazy as we drove to get more ice.

"Uh," Scott began as he rubbed the back of his neck. "I do see it. She just doesn't seem like a very warm, happy person, you know? Some people just like to complain. I mean, life is good."

I smiled and laughed to myself. "Exactly," I began. "I really hope this is just stress from the party, but according to my sister, it's not."

Scott put his hand on my knee and told me not to worry about her. "Have a good time with your family today. I'm sure you guys won't even cross paths much today."

Scott was right. Once everyone started showing up, I was so busy catching up with my family and there were so many people there that I didn't even know. Whenever I saw Linda, she was entertaining somebody new. Everything turned out to be really nice.

One thing I love about Scott is that I don't have to watch over him in these situations. He gets along with everyone and I don't have to worry that he'll be awkward when left alone. After helping my mom with something, I came outside to catch him playing a game with my cousin's daughters. My heart melted.

At that moment, I wanted nothing more than to be with him.

7 comments:

  1. Aww I'm liking Caroline and Scott more and more. I like how it wasn't all crazy fireworks in the beginning but over time she's fallen more and more for him :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - love them together! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Scott seems a little uncomfortable being around drama in Caroline's family, and I can't blame him cause I'd probably be the same way, but it doesn't exactly give me the most reassuring feeling. I am also thinking that Caroline's sister will probably not make it through her brother's wedding planning without blowing up at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah - Theresa is a ticking time bomb. And it's totally understandable to try to avoid family drama when it's not your family!

      Delete
  4. This piece of writing has one outstanding quality that everybody can easily understand its single word. thebachelorscode.com

    ReplyDelete