Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Peanut Butter and Jelly Burger

"Me?" I asked with a finger to my chest. It was a pretty stupid question considering he addressed me by name but it was unfortunately my reflex reaction.

He put his hands in his pant pockets and laughed. "Unless there's another Caroline in the office who has the best work performance so far, yes, you."

I blushed and pressed my lips together. I wasn't completely opposed to going to lunch, but the question totally caught me off guard. Plus, I wasn't mentally prepared for an awkward lunch with Pete.

"It's just, I brought a sandwich so, um, maybe I can take a rain check?" It was a lame excuse, but the truth, and it would totally buy me 24 hours.

He laughed again. I don't know what is so entertaining about my discomfort, but Pete definitely spends half of our face to face time laughing at me.

"It's not in your job description that you have to accept lunch invites from your awesome boss," Pete began with a smile. "But I'm only asking because you're doing so well. We just launched this service and not only are you getting rave reviews from our customers, but the the number of customers you've spoken to that have preordered the service is higher than anyone else. Needless to say, for the youngest one on the team right now, you are making quite the splash."

I modestly smiled at Pete but inside my head, I was doing cartwheels and pumping my fists in the air. "That many customers signed up?"

"Yes, ma'am," Pete replied as he displayed his purely white teeth in a smile. "Now, I have a company credit card and I'm instructed to take exemplary employees to lunch. It's especially encouraged when we launch a new service so we can learn what's working and not working. So, to be honest, we're supposed to spin this as a motivational reward, but in actuality, you're working through lunch." Pete smiled and looked out at the view that we have from the conference room. "We don't have to go, but there is a burger place that serves a peanut butter and jelly burger on Mondays and I'm kind of craving it." He lifted up his wrist and looked down at his watch. "I'm going to leave in about ten minutes. Let me know if you would like to join me." With that, Pete nodded at me and slowly walked out of the conference room towards his office.

I felt pretty silly after Pete walked away. Why couldn't I graciously accept his lunch invite and not act like a weirdo? I also couldn't deny that the peanut butter and jelly burger intrigued me.

I took a deep breathe and followed the path Pete had just taken to his office. "Hey," I said as I gripped the door frame with one hand and leaned off of it. "My sandwich will be great for dinner tonight. I'm ready for lunch whenever you are!"

Time for a professional lunch!

*Writer's Note* Sorry for the short post, today! Things are super hectic with me right now, but I promise you'll get to read about "the lunch" on Friday! Forgive me. Love you all :-*

13 comments:

  1. Chris - @nylonlover69 on IG/TwitterAugust 12, 2015 at 6:31 AM

    <--- googling recipes for peanut butter and jelly hamburgers...

    I've done PB&J deep dish pizza and it's really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, let me know if you find any good recipes :-p

      Delete
  2. hhmmm...I've heard of that. I just don't know. PB&J is just perfect on it's own. Now, what I'd really like to try is an egg on my burger. I understand that's really good. mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an insanely odd combination and I've also heard of a fried egg on a burger! I'm not a huge burger person anyway, so it's not totally worth it for me to try, haha.

      Delete
    2. Fried egg slightly runny on a cheeseburger is AWESOME

      Delete
  3. Pete is frighteningly charming. I think if I were Caroline, I would probably order a meal that sounded less messy, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah - not ideal for a work lunch!

      Delete
  4. I understand being busy and other things taking precedent than a blog you write for fun. However, it seems that all story lines consistently drag. One day lasts 3 posts and nothing happens. I feel that she's overly paranoid and over analyzing everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that you feel this way and you're definitely not alone :-/ I wish I had more time to write longer posts, but since I don't, I try not to leave anything out and rush too much. Even though it kind of feels like my writing style at this point, I am working on it (promise!).

      Delete
    2. Don't be sorry! You write this blog for free! Ignore this entitled commenter, or at least take it as a compliment that we always want more and longer posts :) thanks for all you do!

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Virginia :) I try to take everything as constructive criticism so I don't mind somewhat negative posts. Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  5. Caroline is just a little too awkward for her own good! My manager takes me out for lunch all the time, I guess its the environment I work in. Maybe I'm missing something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Caroline's just having a hard time figuring Pete out. She's definitely more awkward than necessary, though :-p

      Delete