Thursday, October 8, 2015

I Need Some Accounting

I was sitting at my desk, bored out of my mind, on a Wednesday. I had made some calls, responded to all my emails, and it was still an hour until I was set to leave for lunch with Shelby.

I got up to fill my water bottle in the kitchen. I passed Pete's desk on the way there. It was empty, just like it had been all week. He was vacationing in Colorado. I would've thought his vacation was filled with bar hopping and camping with his fraternity brothers, but I know he was taking his daughter with him. I heard him trying to book some family friendly activities over the phone.

The Monday morning after the benefit dinner, I had gone to his office to thank him for the acknowledgment and the gift certificate. I had also decided I was going to insist he keep the gift certificate. Even though I really appreciated the gesture, he won it and I knew he wanted it.

He laughed in my face when I gave him my prepared speech. "Caroline," he said shaking his head. "I never really wanted it." I titled my head to the side, confused. "I have a nice condo here. I can cook myself some awesome eggs Benny. I figured it'd be nice for you and your boyfriend when he comes to visit."

"Oh," I said. He really caught me off guard. Don't get me wrong, it was still a really nice gesture. I just wasn't sure if I believed that he actually didn't want it or if he was trying to make me feel better about accepting it. "Well, thank you so much again! My birthday's in December and I think we're going to use it then."

"Glad to hear it," Pete replied as he spun in his chair and stood up to walk to a filing cabinet. "I was kind of selfish in giving it to you, too. If I had kept it, my date would've been all over the hints about wanting me to take her." He found the file he was looking for a shut the drawer. "A night in a hotel room would've definitely given her the wrong message."

Pete had never talked to me about his love life, so I wasn't completely sure what an appropriate response was. "So you guys aren't serious, I'm guessing."

Pete sat back in his seat and dropped the file on his desk. "Nope, not serious. I just have too much love to give, you know?"

I couldn't help it. I actually rolled my eyes at him. Besides, I think we were at that point in our work relationship.

"I sincerely hope you don't tell girls that," I replied.

"Do I look like an idiot?" He asked as he arched an eyebrow at me. "If I had, I would've been stabbed by now. Not that I haven't been close."

I laughed so loud that I immediately covered my mouth. The idea of a scorned woman trying to stab Pete was hilarious to me for some reason.

"Well," I said as I composed myself somewhat. "I'll let you get back to work. Thank you again for the tickets, regardless of the reason you gave them to me."

"You are very welcome," he replied. "Now she me why you're my top employee right now!" With that, I smiled, nodded, and made my way back to my desk.

That was about a week and a half ago. Now, he wasn't in the office and the timing worked out perfect because I had no work to do. It was the beginning of the school year and, as it turns out, people aren't focused on finding a relationship at this time of year. I overheard some IT guys talking about it in the cafeteria. I didn't mind the break, though. I knew it would get busier with the upcoming holidays and I was taking a long weekend in New York.

When I got back to my desk, I called Scott. We hadn't talked all day and I don't know if it was just because work was so dead, but I really wanted to hear his voice.

He didn't answer his cell phone, so I called his work line. He answered on the third or fourth ring by stating his full name. He's such a professional.

"Hello, I need some accounting," I jokingly greeted.

There was silence for a few seconds before it clicked. "Hey, babe," he responded with zero enthusiasm.

"Rough day?" I asked. There had to be a reason for his cold tone.

"I'm just swamped," he replied, followed by silence.

"Well, I think I know a way I can cheer you up when I fly in tomorrow."

Scott sighed. He actually sighed at me hinting at our pending sexual activity.

"I guess I'll let you go then," I began before I waited for him to interrupt me with an apology or some kind words at the very least.

"I don't think I can take off Friday," he said instead. My heart sank a little. We were supposed to spend the whole day together. He had suggested going to the zoo followed by a baseball game at night.

"Oh," I began. "That's okay."

"And do you think Darlene can still pick you up from the airport?" He was just dropping bomb after bomb on me. Darlene had offered to pick me up Thursday night and we were all going to go to a bar to catch up over strong drinks. When I asked Scott, he had said that he couldn't wait to see me, so he'd pick me up and drive me to see them.

"I'll check," I replied. I was trying to take silent deep breathes to prevent myself from crying at this point. What was the matter with him?

"Okay, let me know," he said. "I gotta run. I'll text you later."

I managed to mutter a goodbye before practically slamming my phone down. Then, the tears came.

18 comments:

  1. What in the fresh hell, Scott? Just when I was starting to like you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh please just end this relationship, i hate knowing she's at a great point in her job and life and he's just the debbie downer of everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! We'll have to see :-p

      Delete
  3. I figured it would be C who wanted to move on and couldn't handle the distance, so this behavior from Scott is surprising to me. Does he see her growing and feels like he's losing her so he's being a dick? They definitely need to have a "come to a Jesus" discussion! mum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris - @nylonlover69 on IG/TwitterOctober 9, 2015 at 10:50 AM

    Ahhhh, the first crack in the long distance relationship dam starts to form.

    It's one thing to be in someone's life and come home to them every day, and something completely different to be a continent away, talk on the phone/skype/whatever but you still only get a snapshot of what they can/want to share. Scott might legitimately be crazy busy at work and not get away like he originally thought that he could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, long distance is so so hard. We'll see how they continue to cope.

      Delete
  5. I feel like all the blogs are sad right now! I wonder if something just happened at work, or something.

    Throwing in a shameless plug, Caroline thanks for checking out my blog!
    The next post is up, if you haven't yet please check it out!

    othersideofpenny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the plugs! Hate sad posts but it's part of the appeal :-/

      Delete
  6. Ugh sounds like he's over it :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nooo, I was hoping the honeymoon phase would last so much longer :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The honeymoon phase is the best, isn't it?

      Delete
  8. I'm thinking he's just busy at work. Maybe a big project or things just not going as planned. Everyone has bad days

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's one thing to attempt a long distance relationship when there is an end date. A light at the end of the tunnel if you were. But to attempt one where someone is making a probable permanent move is another thing. You can't have a long distance relationship forever. In my opinion it was foolish of them to attempt it, even if she wasn't sure it would work out.
    My comment is not against the writer at all. I like the story and the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point! There's definitely going to come a point where this should be addressed.

      Delete