Friday, September 12, 2014

And so it goes...

"Okay..." I slowly replied. What else could we have to talk about? We had plenty of time at dinner. He could have also said something back at his apartment. I mean, we were silent for a good hour. Why was he waiting until the very last moment?

We remained silent for several minutes. I was just about to finally ask him what was going on when he finally spoke. "This might be tougher than we thought, you know?" He was saying 'we' but he clearly meant 'I.'

"What might be tough?" I asked.

"Never seeing you," he replied. "I don't know what that's going to do to us." I was starting to feel like we accomplished nothing the whole night.

"It's not like I'm moving. It's not even like I'll be unavailable all the time. I just have school most week nights and my new Assistantship. When I met you, I had just finished my spring semester. That was the only reason I was even at the bar. But I was also single. Now that I'm with you, I'll arrange my time different."

Justin began picking at the peeling leather on his steering wheel. "I'm a girlfriend guy, you know? I like being in a relationship. I never understood guys who prefer going from girl to girl when you can have one amazing girl who's always there for you. But I don't know if I can handle all this time apart..." His voice trailed off and he looked away from me.

I ran my fingers over his shoulder. "I'm going to do my best," I quietly said. I could feel my eyes tearing up. I didn't like where this conversation was going but I felt helpless.

Justin turned back to the steering wheel. He still wasn't looking at me, but I could see his face. His jaw was clenched but there was sadness in his eyes. It seemed like he was trying to keep it together.

"It's not just that," Justin replied. "I've been thinking. I love spending time with you, but if I'm only going to see you like, once a week when you're completely drained anyway, what's the point?" At that moment, he looked at me just in time to see my eyes widen. "I don't mean there's no point, but come on, Caroline. If the positions were switched, would you want to sit at home while your friends are out meeting new guys."

I swear, when he said that, I saw red. "You want to meet new girls? Is that what this is all about? If it is, just say it," I demanded.

Justin put his head to the steering wheel and took a deep breathe. I could barely hear him when he began speaking again. "It's not that. I want to be with you, but if I can't go out with my friends and you're off at school, I feel like, I don't know. I guess I feel like I'll become resentful."

I took a deep breathe and looked out the window, still trying to hold back tears. Thirty minutes ago, we were all fixed. How did we end up here?

"If you're going to resent me for enriching my future, I have nothing to say to you."

"Stop trying to make me feel like the bad guy," Justin snapped. "I'm telling you how I feel."

The waterworks were now in full force. I put my face in my heads and began sobbing. I couldn't hold it in anymore. I felt Justin's right hand on my back, going up and down.

"Caroline," he began in a soft voice. "Maybe we can just take a break. I'll let you get used to your new schedule and maybe, in a few weeks, we can reconsider things."

I wiped away my tears and looked Justin in the eyes. "What's really going on, Justin? Be honest with me. You make that stupid comment about wanting to be out with your friends meeting new girls and then you try to play it off like it's my fault. I can make time for you, so what's the real reason?"

Justin let out another heavy sigh. "Okay, well yeah. It's not just the time, but here's how I see it. You're going to be at school or work a lot. Then you have to make separate time for your friends and family. That doesn't leave much time for me. And I don't blame you, but what am I going to do with all my free time? If I hang out with my friends more, I'm going to want to talk to girls and stuff. I would hate it if the roles were reversed and you did that. I don't want us to grow apart and then hate each other."

He was making some sense, but I still didn't think we had to break up over this. Couldn't we give it another few weeks? Then I remembered how I felt in the beginning of the night. I really liked Justin, but I had my doubts, too. Maybe this was a good opportunity for both of us to split without a messy, aggressive break up.

I felt my eyes fill with tears again. "So, is this it?" I asked. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Justin rubbing his eyes and I secretly hoped he was wiping away tears. I can't be the only one who feels better when the guy is also crying.

"At least for now," he softly replied. "Let's take some time apart and maybe we can get dinner in like, two weeks?"

We sat in silence for a minute before I slowly nodded. "Well, I guess I should go in." I turned and gave Justin one last look. I couldn't believe how the night turned out.

Justin put a hand behind my ear and gave me a slow and passionate kiss before I went inside. I felt so sad but I told myself it was for the best. Right?

19 comments:

  1. Justin sounds kind of selfish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand why he can't hang out with his friends without being inappropriate around other women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris - @nylonlover69 on TwitterSeptember 12, 2014 at 5:36 AM

      I thought the same thing, Olivia. Being in a relationship doesn't mean that you never look at or have a conversation with another person (I almost said "of the opposite sex", but...), it just means you don't end up in bed or with your tongue shoved down their throat.

      Delete
    2. I agree. Their relationship seems hot and cold, though, so maybe this is for the best.

      Delete
    3. It kind of sounds like an excuse to me, but it also might be that since the "magic" is gone, Justin doesn't want to limit what he does with his friends while Caroline is off studying. Also, I've actually heard this sort of lame excuse before.

      Delete
  3. Chris - @nylonlover69 on TwitterSeptember 12, 2014 at 5:33 AM

    My first thought = I. Can't. Even.
    My second thought = How about growing a pair, Justin?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah. that's my ex. he can't hang around his friends without being inappropriate with other girls.. even in front of me. and he has a few female friends he crosses the lines with that he KNOWS is an issue, and he lies and hides it.

    Justin is selfish, and it seems a bit manipulative. He's trying to make it out to be about you, when it's about him. He's needy, and he needs you there to keep an eye on him. That's not someone she needs. You need someone in your life that will support you and what you do, not try and hold you back because they feel left out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are some really crappy guys out there and sometimes they can trick you! Thanks for the support :)

      Delete
  5. I'm glad he did this. Our girl was on the fence about him any way. Let's see where we are in a few weeks. There will have been some time for clarity. mum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh. What a dumb reason to break up. I hope she realizes that he's just not worth it now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoy the fact that he could not figure this out until after she had sex with him. That would have really pissed me off if I were in her shoes. She deserves better than this guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always thought he was a bit of a douche. She deserves someone much better. If people want it to work, they make it work no matter how much time there is.

      Delete
    2. I thought the same thing! Somehow getting laid was clarifying??? What!!!???

      Delete
    3. Yes! While I don't think he was trying to get one last sexcapade out of the relationship, there was definitely something infuriating about this.

      Delete
  8. Hope she meets a real man. That's a lame excuse. Tell him to get a tampon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caroline was considering breaking up with him anyway. Wasn't she going back and forth about being with him? He just beat her to the punch. I'm sure if she found out that he was going out with Alan she'd freak out. It's better this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also think she's better off being single right now. Break ups are always tough, though :-/

      Delete
  10. I have to say, I totally agree with Anonymous commentor at 7:31 am. Good for her, on and up to better things (and people!)

    www.poetsandheartbreakers.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your comments! I'm glad people seemed to have strong reactions to this post :)

    ReplyDelete