Friday, October 10, 2014

Let's go... Patriots!(?)

Darlene, Jessica, and I walked through the heavy, wooden doors around 5:30. The football game was already well underway, but Moose mentioned that we could all hang out and have dinner until the 8:30 game. The guys were already sitting in a corner booth all the way in the back. Almost all the guys were there and I was surprised so many of them dared to venture out on a Sunday. Most of them commuted to the city for work and had to be at the train station around 7. No, thank you.

Anyway, Jessica and I decided to split a bucket of beer while Darlene ordered a diet coke. (Such the responsible designated driver). We also all ordered wings partially to be involved in the spirit of things and partially to celebrate swim suit season being over.

Moose was not even close to me, but i could feel the discomfort. He wouldn't make eye contact with me across the table and whenever he said something to the group, he would only engage with other people. Why can't he just relax about stuff? I can't even imagine the awkwardness that would ensue if we actually fully hooked up.

I didn't let it bother me and figured he'd move past it on his own. I spent most of the night catching up with Jessica and Darlene while shoving wings into my mouth and downing Bud Lights. I made a conscious decision that I would be going to work the next day hungover.

I started talking to Billy. He was thinking about applying to PhD programs, something that I also told myself I would start doing, and we compared ideas about which schools seemed like good options. I started drinking faster because the discussion was stressing me out.

We ordered a few more appetizers for the table and another bucket of beers as the pre game bologna started. I heard Moose say he was rooting for the Bengals so I secretly decided I would root for the Patriots.

Once the game started, I was happy I decided to root for the Patriots because a table filled up with guys and yes, one of them was wearing a Patriots jersey.

I pulled out my phone and began texting under the table to Jessica and Darlene. "Hotties, 9 o'clock." I saw them both look at their phones and then subtly look over at the table I was referring to. Darlene's eyes lit up and Jessica nodded.

We were close enough to the table to hear loud exclamations from the group but not close enough to easily start conversations with them. I pressed my lips together and tried to concoct a plan to talk to them. I am so bad at this kind of stuff.


As the game went on, the Patriots began killing it with two touchdowns in the first quarter. Jessica, Darlene, and I enthusiastically clapped when we saw the guys next to us cheering. I pushed some hair behind my ear and looked over at them. To my surprise (and delight!) I saw one of them looking at me, too. He wasn't wearing a jersey, but rather a green graphic tee.


His slight smirk showed off his dimples (or at least his right dimple, I assumed the other side of his face matched). I smiled back before shyly looking down. I needed a way to approach him.

I continued to watch the game and engage with everyone at our table. I didn't eat too much more because I was starting to feel like a beached whale.

I got up to go to the bathroom and shot a flirtatious look to my new love interest. He caught my look and winked. It made my heart flutter in a way that I hadn't felt in a long time.

I was washing my hands when Darlene came strolling into the bathroom.

"Excuse me, madam," she began in a proper colonial age voice. "Are you having a scandalous rendezvous?"

I shot her a confused look. "What?" I asked.

She dropped her character and playfully slapped me on the shoulder. "Why is that cute boy waiting for you outside the bathroom?"

My heart may have stopped for a moment. "Really?" I asked, which really wasn't answering her question.

"Yes," she replied confused. "You didn't know?"

I didn't even answer her question as I checked my hair and makeup even closer in the mirror. Thank goodness I chose to do that moisturizing mask the night before.

"Wish me luck," I said to Darlene as I walked out of the bathroom.

As soon as I walked out of the door, the guy looked up and made direct eye contact with me.

"Hey," he said to me, sounding a bit unsure. "Enjoying the game?"

"I am," I said, trying to stand up a bit straighter.

"Yeah, I can tell you're really into it. Not like most girls."

I mentally did cartwheels to celebrate my successful trickery.

"Well, I take that as a compliment," I coyly replied.

"Oh, definitely," he quickly responded. "Uh, anyway. I think next time, we should be sitting at the same table."

I smiled and he smiled back. "That'd be nice."



I could tell he felt much more comfortable now that I confirmed my interest. He grabbed a napkin from his pocket and handed it to me. "I'm going to head in the bathroom, but you should text me this week. We'll set something up."

It felt so 90s of him to hand me his number instead of just putting it in his phone, but I liked that he was completely putting the ball in my court. "I'll text you now so you have my number," I replied, hoping I wasn't leaping too much. He smiled though, so I think he appreciated it.

I was so happy when I walked back to the table. I was relived that Moose didn't see any of those interactions. But how long can I really keep waiting for him?

7 comments:

  1. Ooooh a new love interest?!

    I think Moose just feels shafted maybe? But he is being immature about the whole thing

    http://lifebysarahxo.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moose and Caroline definitely need some better communication. Moose probably has a lot of conflicting thoughts going on.

      Delete
  2. keep waiting for him? you know he's kind of interested then.. if you are at all, maybe YOU should make the first move, since he figures you're not interested. just sayin...

    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. She shot him down already in the past so why would he risk that again? I don't think Caroline knows what she wants. Why flirt with the new guy is you're interested in Moose? And FYI just because you have a job and have start your commute at 7, doesn't mean that you have to stay in your house and not go anywhere. You can still go out and have a great time. It's not like you go to bed at eight because you have to get up early. That was really immature thinking on Caroline's part.

      Delete
    2. That depends on the person, I start my long commute at 630 and I'm exhausted if I don't get to bed early, and if it's a Sunday leading into Monday- even worse.

      Delete
    3. I live in a NJ suburb and work in Midtown. My commute is close to 90 mins one way. I catch the train around 715 each morning. That has never deterred me from going out with my friends or going to happy hours with my colleagues during the week. Either way they would watch Sunday night football. In my opinion that's not a huge deal for men and women in their early to mid 20s. It's more common than you think. They're hanging out at a bar, watching football, not doing something crazy exhausting. I bet they left when the game was over which would probably be around 11-1130?

      Delete
    4. K - I think the tough part is that Caroline's not really sure... And while Moose may be interested, he only seems interested when he's drunk.

      First anonymous - I don't think Caroline really knows what she wants with Moose yet. Maybe she'll figure that out. As far as your informative "FYI" about Caroline's "immature" thoughts, I base the blog off of my real friends (as I've said in previous comment sections) and most of the time, they DON'T want to go out on Sundays. It's not that they're going to bed really early, but for the most part, they want to relax and mentally prepare for the long week ahead. Getting drunk until 11 might not make their early start on Monday that enjoyable. As the other posters have shown, everyone's kind of different here. I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear, but Caroline wasn't just wildly speculating about the motives of her close friends.

      Amber - Everyone's different! My guy friends are definitely like you. Also, I usually stay in and unwind on Sundays, too.

      Melissa - Thank you for your comment. I think the last three posts in this thread show that everyone is different. The guys here did choose to go out for the game. Caroline was simply pointing out that they usually like to stay in on Sundays.

      Thank you all for your comments :)

      Delete