Friday, October 24, 2014

Typical Week

This past week flew by. Between class, work, and the Assistantship, I felt like all I did was run from place to place. This is starting to sound redundant, right? Yeah, I think so, too. Is it Thanksgiving break yet? Or better yet, let's get to Winter break!

I did have an exciting meeting with Professor O'Conner and two of his PhD students. The PhD students had it way worse than any of the Master's students, so none of them worked full time and most of them didn't even work part time. I really have to figure out if that's the life I want next year.

One of them was the girl who bailed on the conference. She had a beautiful, olive complex that made it evident she got the good genes in her Greek family. Her face was also completely done up, though, and her hair was pinned up in a perfectly professional, but also sexy, manner. She took a subway and train here from New York City, where she lived on the Upper East Side with her finance boyfriend. If she was scared of getting Ebola before, I don't even want to know how she's been dealing with taking a subway almost every day now that there was that confirmed case of Ebola in New York.

The other PhD student was a tall, extremely handsome man. Last year, when the PhD students were being selected and visiting the school, I had heard one of my professors say to my advisor that one of the new students was a "model," and I thought he was exaggerating. Considering the incoming classes only have twenty students each year, I knew he was referring to this student. I tried not to let my jaw drop as I was introduced to him. To make it even better, his name is Jett which, in the words of Shoshanna "like, um, hello, good name." Jett was clearly a few years older than me and his amazing good looks made me not even imagine our fantasy life together. That's right. Even in my imagination, I know I could not get with Jett.

My extremely slim chances that maybe one day Jett would suffer some brain damage that would lead him into my arms became even worse when I noticed the wedding ring on his finger. I figured he was probably married to Kira Kazantsev and they definitely were going to have the hottest babies in the next three to five years. I want to manage the modeling careers of those babies. I'll make millions.

They talked to me about possible research opportunities. Montana, the female, was more interested in Professor O'Conner's line of research on individuals dealing with trauma, while Jett was researching a lot about social media. We conversed a little bit since I'm interested in romantic relationship research and the two have a lot in common. I gave him my email and he told me he was going to email me a few things that he's been researching. It gave me a little flutter in my stomach that I'd be hearing from him, even though it had zero romantic implications.


My excitement about seeing Scott today also helped me get through this hectic week. We hadn't really been texting, which made me even more excited to sit down for a nice meal with him. Do you ever feel like you text a guy too much when you first start seeing each other and it kind of takes away the magic from getting to know them in person?

He did text me yesterday to let me know that he made reservations at a restaurant in Huntington, which is closer to him than me so when he mentioned picking me up, I insisted on meeting him there instead. There was no reason for him to drive all the way here just so I could feel like Daisy from the Great Gatsby.

Earlier in the week, I told my friends in a group text message about my date. Yesterday, Jessica sent a text asking if I was excited.

"So nervous," I wrote back with emoji showing all his (or her?) teeth.

Anna chimed in next, but not about my date. "I'm hanging out with Martin tomorrow also!" Then she followed up with, "I'm seeing Chris on Saturday, though. Is that bad?"

I rolled my eyes. Of course she hadn't really sworn off Chris. Not to mention, she had told me she wasn't really interested in seeing Martin again but was happy to be my wing woman when necessary. Why was she agreeing to go on a date with him? If things got serious between Scott and I, I didn't want to have to explain why my friend was leading on his friend.

I don't want to sound like a brat here either, but Anna also had this tendency of ignoring the topic of conversation (in this instance, my date) and making the conversation about her. Also, when she asks "is that bad?" she wants us to think she's being so sexually adventurous. I am one hundred percent in favor of girls doing whatever they want without judgment, but the way she threw it in our faces all the time made us all conclude that she did it for attention, especially considering when she got really drunk, she would cry about how she wanted a relationship. Again, I hate to sound judgmental, because I honestly love the girl, but sometimes I wish she was simply more self aware.

Anyway, I have my outfit hanging from my door and I've already watched two make up tutorials in an attempt to step up my game (especially after being inspired by Montana's awesome look). I don't know why, but I'm super nervous about this date. Maybe it's because Scott and I haven't had any one on one time yet. Maybe it's because I haven't been on many real first dates. Either way, I'm putting on my confident pants and doing this.

11 comments:

  1. Maybe instead of complaining internally about Anna, why not talk to her and clear the air? Leaving things as they are will only lead to resentment. One question, I thought you were going to school in NYC? Am I mistaken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard with Anna. I have a hard time explaining it, but when I try to even broach the subject, she doesn't think she's doing anything wrong. She actually often complains that people think she's flirting when she's just "being friendly," but I can tell you, she always takes it a step too far. I definitely think Caroline and Anna will have to have a discussion soon if Anna doesn't take a hint!

      I'm sorry if it's confusing. I live on Long Island, so I'm in the city a lot, but I actually work and go to school on Long Island. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Wait is this blog real or fictional? Because the description says it's fictional but you've been replying like it's about your life, I'm kinda confused. Either way, love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wondered the same thing!

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry that I've caused confusion there! The blog is definitely fictional, but a lot of posts are extremely close to things that have happened in my real life. I based Anna, Darlene, and Jessica on my three real life best friends. So, when I respond to Anna's character, I'm kind of referring to how she is in real life. I hope that makes sense! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
    3. Are you worried that your friends will be upset with you writing about them? I'm just curious, not trying to slam at all!

      Delete
    4. Don't worry, I love the questions! I actually haven't told my friends about this simply because I don't want to worry about censoring things. Also, I don't write events exactly how they happen. I want to have some poetic licensing to change things around. It's just that most of the things I write are very, very close to my real life. Thanks for your interest :)

      Delete
  3. What the hell is with all the italics in this post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Great Gatsby is a book and should be in italics. And the others are there for emphasis. I assume at least. Maybe there were more than usual, but I didn't think it was a bad thing. Maybe Caroline just felt really passionate and intense about everything this time. lol

      Delete
    2. I actually like to use italics, but a lot of times I'm typing up the posts on my phone and don't have that convenience. This post was typed on my laptop so there's some more! Hope you enjoyed them, lol.

      Delete