Friday, October 31, 2014

Rooftop Fun


When I parked my car and began walking into my house, I checked my phone. I had a text from Scott and I instantly felt another wave of excitement.

"You're really easy to talk to. We have to do this again soon :)"

"Yes!" I wrote back with a huge smiling emoji. We didn't text after that, but it was nice to get some sort of confirmation that he planned on a second date.

The next day, I woke up early to work on a few assignments. My dad interrupted me after a few hours to ask if I wanted to grab lunch with him and my mom. I happily accepted and indulged in a penne a la vodka slice from this great pizzeria down the road. My parents talked about some minor issues with my grandparents, among other family drama. When your mom has five siblings and your dad has right, there's a lot to talk about. Everyone in my family gets along pretty well, so I'm lucky there.

Saturday night, the girls and I had arrangements to go into the city. Jessica's birthday was the following week and she wanted to go to this cute, rooftop bar. It was the perfect timing, since Saturday was beautiful and the weather was only going to go down hill from here. Why don't humans hibernate, huh?

The girls came to my house beforehand, where Jessica informed me the guys would be meeting us there. A bunch of them were already in the Bronx for an alumni thing and were only a subway ride away from the city. I hadn't seen Moose in a few weeks, but I figured there wouldn't be any more awkwardness than usual.

We arrived at Penn Station around 9 o'clock before quickly walking out onto the street and getting in a cab. I bonded with the cab driver and I recommend it. Most of them have really interesting stories.

Anna started talking about her night with Martin. "We went out for a drink and I ended up not feeling well, so I asked him to take me home."

Another fun fact about Anna is that she always gets stomach aches. It's always after she has some sort of dairy, so we've unofficially concluded that she's lactose intolerant. However, that doesn't stop her from eating blocks of mozzarella cheese and then going out for drinks. It wasn't the worst ending her date with Martin could've had though.

"So do you like him?" I asked as we made a left turn onto a side street.

"He's okay," she passively replied. "I'd like to have some fun, but apparently you prohibit that."

"Hey," I defensively began. "I'm not prohibiting anything. I just asked you not to use Scott's friend as your personal boy toy. I mean that literally." The girls laughed and I'm pretty sure I saw the driver crack a smile, too.

"Well, I'm glad things went well on your date!" Darlene exclaimed. I had informed them of the whole story on the train ride.

"Thanks! I have a good feeling about this one, guys." We pulled up to the bar a moment later.

The rooftop had a pretty decent crowd and the view was unreal. We ordered mixed drinks at the bar and started dancing like we were at our senior prom. We weren't even drunk yet, but things were just good. For all of us. For once.

I was trying to get the bartender's attention when I felt a presence next to me. I looked and saw it was Moose.

"Oh, hey," I shyly said. I was kind of caught off guard but at the same time, things were relatively normal between us.

"Hey, yourself," he replied. "What are you having?" I pointed to my empty beer bottle and he nodded before waving a hand at the bartender. He was so tall that the bartender couldn't not see him. He quickly ordered two beers. "So, having fun?"

"Yeah, it's such nice weather," I casually replied as I looked out at the night sky. "Having a good day?"

"Yeah, I'm pretty hammered though," he replied pressing his palms into his eyes. "I don't know how long I'm going to make it."

I hadn't been able to tell that Moose was really drunk, but once he said it, it was obvious. His eyes were kind of red and he looked pretty sleepy. "Wow, you can't day drink like you used to, huh?"

"Nope," he laughed. "I'm getting old, C." People very rarely called me "C" but it's actually my preferred nickname. I don't feel like I can ask people to call me that, though. It's kind of lame to create your own nickname, right?

The bartender handed us our beers and we walked over to the dance area where all our friends were standing. The rest of the night was pretty uneventful, but drama free. I was so glad everyone was having a good time.

We got on a train around 1:45 and luckily found a section of about ten seats. We all collapsed on the seats and chuckled all the way home while eating our dollar slices.

Once we were through the tunnel, I checked my phone and saw I had a text from Scott. It read, "What're you up to?"

I didn't think before honestly responding. "On the train home from the city. You?"

"Out with some friends. Miss you."

I smiled over my phone but quickly stopped myself so none of the guys started making fun of me.

In the morning, though, I questioned his text messages a little more. This was kind of unlike Scott. I wasn't sure if I should be flattered that he thought of me or insulted that he was drunk texting me. Was he texting me as a booty call? Or was it that his drunken words were his sober thoughts? Either way, I was glad we talked and I'm excited to see him again. I like where things are going!

10 comments:

  1. You're overthinking it. Relax. I think it was sweet he was thinking of you, and you don't know if he was drunk. He was out with friends, but he may not have been drunk. Drinking yes, but not drunk. Just smile at the fact he misses you :)

    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris - @nylonlover69 on TwitterOctober 31, 2014 at 6:14 AM

    This is the worst post ever. My grade schooler could write better than this. Ugh.

    April Fool! Oh wait, wrong holiday. Is that "insane" enough for you? lol

    I liked the post, and am extremely happy that Moose kept his drama to himself at least for the night. I find that "Miss you" at the end of Scott's text to be a little unnerving given that you've only gone on one real date and "two hang outs to watch the game".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I appreciate you taking my twitter post serious :-p. You definitely gave me a trick in the beginning! (But a treat at the end)

      Yes, we still don't know a lot about Scott. We'll have to see about him!

      Delete
  3. Don't make it a thing. He didn't say, "hey baby, come over"-- he said something nice. Just enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Scott's text was genuine; if it was a booty call he probably would have sent additional texts. Time will tell I'm sure. :)

    http://jocelynseverydayjourneys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Caroline over thinks everything and sees drama where there is none. What alumni thing was in the Bronx? aren't you all from long island? Also it would be nice if you were more descriptive. Tell us about where you went. what you wore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She might be overthinking it a little, but it's not like she spent all morning racking her brain over it. Just a thought I figured I'd share.

      A few of the guys went to school (college, that is) in the Bronx. Sorry it wasn't clear!

      I have been trying to be more descriptive and I'll admit this post probably lacked a lot of that, but comment noted! Thanks :)

      Delete