Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Back to Reality


I closed my eyes and took a deep breathe as I tried to control my emotions. I have pictures of my ex-boyfriends. I was never one who saw the point in getting rid of old pictures. My friends would often burn the pictures in some sort of metaphoric ritual. I never confessed to them that I still had an old shoe box at my parent's house filled with pictures and notes. If any part of a past relationship was good, why not try to remember it with fondness? Of course, I don't always feel that way right after the break up, but I would rather keep the memories locked away somewhere just in case. Plus, you never know where life is going to take you down the road. I'm beyond happy and in love with Scott, but I can't predict the future. What if fate takes me back to an ex?

Anyway, I didn't mind seeing the picture. Sure, it made my stomach ache and I almost threw up on the spot. But, again, I don't care about the picture. It was the placement of said picture. Scott uses this drawer. He leaves pens, chargers, and medicine in there. Why was the picture right on top?

I shut the drawer closed after dropping the picture in. I decided to gargle some mouthwash and change before Scott got back. I started cleaning up his room. When I'm even just slightly anxious, I tend to clean or keep busy in some way.

I heard Scott and his parents arrive home. Moments later, he walked through the door.

"This is why I love you," he said before I even turned to look at him. His arms were around my waist and a smile formed on my face.

I was bothered by seeing the picture. It also reminded me about the flirtatious situation I felt like I walked in on at his office. Two things in one weekend home. Long distance relationships are hard enough. Was it worth the extra worry?

But as soon as he put his arms around my waist and I heard his voice in my ear, all my worries went away. This was the guy who said that he planned on marrying me. This was the guy who was willing to fly across the country once a month just to see me. He put up with me through all my mood swings and all my weirdness. I didn't want to ruin our last night together by harboring resentment over something I knew nothing about.

I turned around and looked at him. "How did I end up with such a slob?" I playfully asked.

He smiled and nuzzled his head on my neck. "It's because you're so clean and opposites attract."

I began giggling as his nose tickled me. "I'm sorry I didn't make it out for dinner with your parents."

"It's okay," he replied without lifting his head. "They know you have a lot to do when you're home for the weekend."

"I think we have a lot to do right now," I replied as I ran my hands up and down his back.

With that, Scott picked me up and carried me over to the bed. We had a very productive few hours after that.

I fell asleep in Scott's arms. The next morning, I got up early to get breakfast with my parents. It was really nice to have one on one time with them. I felt kind of bad that I spent so much time with Scott when I came home, but I had dedicated all day Monday to parental bonding. After a delicious breakfast, we went to the beach. I looked out onto the Atlantic ocean. It was different than the Pacific. Not better, not worse, just different.

While they drove me to the airport, I contemplated not getting on the plane. Of course, I knew that wasn't what I really wanted, but after an amazing weekend at home, how else could I feel?

The next day, I was back at work. I had so much to catch up on and basically didn't look away from my computer at all. I needed another dose of caffeine by eleven, even though I had stopped for a large coffee on my way to work.

On my way back from the cafeteria, I ran into Pete.

"How's our east coast native doing back on the right side of the country?" He asked me with a big smile.

I smiled. "Technically, this is the left side when facing a map."

Pete laughed. "Yeah, you know what I'm getting at. How was your trip?"

"It was good," I said with a sigh. "Exhausting, but good. Thanks again for working it out so I could have a longer weekend."

"Anytime for my number one employee," he said with a wink. I was beginning to get used to his winks and I can't tell if that's a good thing or not. "Well, I'll let you get back to work. I'll catch you later for the meeting, though!"

I smiled and told him of course before feverishly getting back to my computer to scan my emails for whatever meeting he was talking about.

I was going to work through lunch, but Shelby came by my cubicle around one with a sandwich. "The deli messed mine up, so they gave me the mistake anyway. Do you like mayo?"

I laughed. "I could like it," I replied. "Thanks so much!"

"No problem," she said back before asking me about my trip.

I began getting into it when my words, and thoughts for that matter, were interrupted by a little girl's voice.

"Daddy!" I heard the voice seconds before I saw a girl with long blond hair run passed my cubicle.

I cautiously rolled my chair over to the edge so I could see more. A woman who looked like Giselle followed her.

I was more shocked to see who she was running to. It was Pete. 

2 comments:

  1. Just tell Pete that the East Coast is the Beast Coast, and it can beat up the Best Coast any time :)

    LDRs are so hard, wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I like that saying! Thanks for always commenting <3

      Delete