Friday, September 18, 2015

Charity Dinner: Part One

I flipped my hair forward as I bent over and quickly flipped it back when I stood up straight. I was worried it would get frizzy with the California heat, but it was a risk I was willing to take.

That night, I was going to a charity dinner that Web Matcher was throwing. Scott was flying in for it and staying for a few days. I couldn't wait to see him.

While buying tickets were voluntary, I knew that it was in my best interest to go. Peggy and Shelby were both going also, and while I still didn't feel like our relationships had reached the point of more than "work" friends, I knew it would be nice to have them there. It was a bonus to know that Scott wouldn't think I had become a complete hermit since I came out here.

Scott was taking an Uber from the airport and while I really wanted to greet him at the terminal, I needed all the time I had to get ready. I didn't get out of work until 6:30 and we were supposed to leave for the benefit at 7:30.

I heard a knock on the door around 7 and while I got butterflies in my stomach, I also felt a tiny ping of annoyance. I didn't give him his own key for my health.

I pulled the door open with one swift motion. I couldn't wait to see him any longer. I expected to see him in his traveling clothes; basketball shorts, his old gym sneakers, and one of his college t-shirts.

Instead, he was standing in front of me in a perfectly fit, gray suit. To make it better, he was holding a white rose. If I didn't spend so much time on my hair, I would've easily showed up an hour late to this thing just to have sex with my boyfriend right then until he was all tired out.

"I fucking love you," I said as he walked toward me. He dropped his duffle bag before throwing his arm around my waist and burying his face in my neck. Even though we were getting the routine down, I still couldn't get use to this feeling of complete euphoria every time I saw him, mixed with a desire to break down with emotions knowing that he was going to leave again days later.

I couldn't let a five hour plane ride go unrewarded before dinner, so I closed the door and gave my hot boyfriend a welcome to California blow job in the very place we just embraced for the first time in almost two weeks. He deserves way more for putting up with me.

We walked into the hall about fifteen minutes late. I almost immediately spotted Peggy's blonde hair in a high bun. She was lingering around a group of IT guys with a glass of white wine in her hand. "I see one of my friends," I whispered to Scott and he took my hand as we walked toward her.

"Hey!" I loudly called to Peggy when we were a few steps away. "Peggy, I'd like you to meet my boyfriend, Scott."

Peggy and Scott shook hands before Peggy sneaked a wink my way. "I hope this thing isn't lame," she quickly said as she looked around the hall. There were a ton of people all standing in their own little groups. I recognized a lot of the people from the office and could quickly match particular employees with their significant others. I was surprised not to see Pete anywhere. Regardless, the place looked extremely elegant and everybody already seemed to be having a good time. I didn't know why Peggy was already raising her eyebrows at the night.

"Well, we're going to grab drinks," I responded as Scott put his hand on my waist.

Once we were out of earshot, Scott whispered to me that Peggy seemed like a real "gem."

"She's nice," I giggled. "But yeah, definitely likes to sit on her cloud of judgment."

As we waited in line for drinks, I asked Scott what he wanted to do that weekend. "I don't care," he said with a shrug. "I'm always just glad to be spending time with you." Then, he laughed and looked down.

"What?" I asked, suddenly feeling self conscious.

"Well," he hesitantly replied. 'I'd like to spend some more time doing what we did before coming here." He raised his eyebrows up and down at me.

I playfully laughed. "Done," I replied with a kiss. "There's lot more of that planned for this weekend."

"Fun plans for the weekend?" I suddenly heard the question from over my shoulder and immediately knew who was asking.

I casually turned around to face Pete. There he stood, towering over both Scott and I. At his side, was a really beautiful woman, who's hair had the curls without the frizz that I had tried so hard to achieve.

"Hi, Pete," I said with a warm, professional smile. "I'd like you to meet my boyfriend, Scott."

They shook hands and I couldn't believe this moment had come. My hunky boss could now see that maybe I wasn't that awkward around hot men, because clearly I was able to get one to date me.

He introduced me to the woman he was with as his date before quickly moving on. "So, what's there going to be plenty of this weekend?" Pete asked.

I looked at his puzzled for a second before my stomach dropped. He had overheard our sexual wordplay and had no idea what he was actually asking. Scott luckily picked up on this before me.

"I told Caroline that we need to go to the beach," he replied before looking at me and winking.

I think Pete realized his error because as I looked back at him, his face was red. At last, for once, Pete was the embarrassed one! This night was off to a great start.

6 comments:

  1. I'm not feeling Caroline and Scott at all. There's something missing.......it seems forced (I've thought this since the beginning of their relationship). They are young, successful, and in their early to mid 20s. Both live in large eciting cities, and it's almost a disservice to both of them to continue their relationship.

    Caroline's story would be much more interesting if she started her life in California with a clean slate and met someone with whom she has more of a connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I disagree with both of these comments. I enjoy hearing about Caroline & Scott & think they make a great couple.

      Delete
  2. I kind of agree with the first comment. Scott seems so much more interested in Caroline. Caroline is too preoccupied with her boss and it's becoming quite sickening. I've yet to see someone who is that obsessed with every little thing her boss says or does. I think it makes Caroline look so immature and gossipy. After the hiatus we came back to real time without a catch up. How are we as readers suppose to follow and be into this relationship if it was forced onto us without any buildup or back story? I hate how slow each post is. It took two/three posts to get into Pete's past now we're going through multiple posts about this event. Nothing really happens and this whole storyline with her boss is childish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris - @nylonlover69 on IG/TwitterSeptember 24, 2015 at 6:48 AM

      Sounds like someone needs to go write his/her own blog and show us just how easy it is! Please provide a link when you do so.

      Delete
  3. I actually think this is a pretty realistic scenario for where Caroline's at right now. She just moved across the country for a job--she doesn't have any friends around, so I can see where she would be eager to get in with coworkers Peggy and Shelby, and guess what, unfortunately a lot of office friendships are built around gossip. No, it's not really flattering or mature, but definitely realistic. Plus she obviously has kind of a crush on Pete, so... easy topic?

    I like her and Scott together, and they seem solid, although for a long time I thought he was a square. I like him more now, even though he's not particularly... exciting.

    ReplyDelete