Friday, September 4, 2015

Brunch Hangover


As I get older, I realize that waking up with a hangover is one of the worst feelings the average young adult will continuously put himself or herself through.

That feeling is made even worse when you wake up at 7pm with that feeling. When I was awoken by a phone alarm, it took me a moment to remember where I was. I looked around and quickly realized I was in Scott's bedroom. Oh, yeah. I forgot he had picked me up from the restaurant with my friends.

I looked to my left and expected to see Scott, but he wasn't lying next to me. I pouted before pulling his comforter over my head. I was still tired, but I didn't want to screw up my sleep schedule any more than it already was from traveling between New York and California.

After another minute or two of resting my eyes, I resurfaced from under the comforter and looked at my phone. I had a text from Scott telling me that he went to grab dinner with his parents and he'd be back soon. The text was sent almost an hour before, so I was sure he'd be back in no time.

I couldn't believe how drunk I got at brunch. For whatever reason, the waitress was very attentive and the mimosas were strong. I missed my friends so much. We sat at a small table outside overlooking a main road on the south shore of Long Island. I questioned my decision to stuff my face with birthday cake pancakes and alcohol whenever a middle aged jogger passed by.

I needed a real catch up with my friends, though. Anna ended up dating the guy she had just met when I first moved out to California. From what I heard, she was spending all her time with him and kind of leaving her friends in the dust. She was going to begin a new teaching job this school year and he was a teacher, as well, so their summer was spent at the beach.

"I don't mean to be that girl who keeps bringing up her boyfriend," she began saying at one point when a Jeep Wrangler parked within our vision. "But, we have sex in his Jeep at the beach so often that I don't know how nobody's spotted us yet."

"Maybe they have," Darlene said before grabbing a piece of bacon from Anna's plate and biting down hard on it. Her tone was stern as she diverted her eyes toward the street. Darlene, having never been in an actual relationship, did not take it well when anybody else spent too much time with a boyfriend. I can't even say if this particular case was justified or not, because I'm not around. It's kind of nice not being involved in the drama, though.

Jessica cleared her throat before she asked Anna if they had any other fun plans for the summer. Jessica had told me she was annoyed at Anna's disappearance act, also, but I appreciated her trying to lessen the awkwardness.

"We're probably going to spend a few nights in Montauk," she replied with a big smile. "I just hope I don't screw this up, too."

"What do you mean?" I dramatically questioned. "He adores you. You guys seem like an amazing match."

"It's just," Anna began before sighing heavily and playing with her eggs Benedict. "Whenever I get comfortable with someone, it ends up falling apart."

I can't say I didn't see Anna's point. She was in a five year relationship during college and it ended in disaster. While she's been single since then, there have been a lot of guys in and out of her life. In the most recent year, she kept everything casual even when a few of them showed interest in making things official with her. However, before that, she did get screwed over a few times.

"You can't keep that pessimistic attitude," I replied. "I know it's tough but it'll be a self-fulfilling prophecy. He's given you no reason to not trust him, so don't let your past get the best of you."

"I know, I know," Anna replied with a wave of her hand. "I know it's early, but I've really never felt this way before."

"I can't wait to be a bridesmaid!" Jessica exclaimed and we all laughed. I was glad to be laughing again so I didn't have to sound like a fortune cookie anymore.

"Um," Jessica began with a devious look on her face. "I've kind of started seeing someone."

"Who?" Anna asked as she practically jumped out of her seat with excitement. I have a feeling she was just excited at the potential for a couple to go on double dates with.

Jessica smiled down at her lap and I immediately recognized that look. It was a really new relationship and it was all sunshine in her life.

"It's actually Ryan," she finally admitted.

"Ryan?" Darlene asked and I sensed some judgement in her voice.

"Wow," Anna said as she nudged an elbow in Jessica's direction. "Your boss, huh? Now that's a fun little scandal!"

"Well," Jessica said toward Anna, clearly trying to avoid the rudeness that was coming from Darlene's direction. "He might not be my boss too much longer. "He's considering taking a position at a different branch."

Jessica continued telling us more about her romance. The brunch was simply a perfect way for me to catch up with them and toward the end, Darlene even let go of her animosity. Scott eventually picked me up and I made them all promise to come visit me in California soon.

I finally got out of Scott's bed to brush my teeth, but upon walking into the bathroom, I couldn't find my toothbrush. I began looking in every drawer to find it.

I eventually reached Scott's nightstand drawer. It wasn't there. However, right on top of everything, there was something else: a picture of him and his ex-girlfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment