Thursday, August 31, 2017

Closing Time

Things were weird at work. They hadn't announced that the office was closing yet, but I didn't really feel like doing much work since I knew it was pointless. I also knew that there was a good chance I could get a different position somewhere else, so I had to keep up the pace a little bit.

Pete and I hadn't discussed what happened between us, but I honestly felt like it made things go back to normal between us. Actually, I’d make the argument that things were even better. Our bond was a little stronger. He even slapped my ass once in the kitchen when nobody was around. It strangely didn’t feel that sexual, though. It just felt like two friends who were super comfortable around each other. I guess one friend being inside another friend will have that effect.

They didn’t announce that our office was closing for about two weeks. Those two weeks were extremely uncomfortable, so I was relieved when Pete came by my desk and let me know that the announcement would be the following day.

“Thank, goodness,” I replied as I let out a sigh. “I’ve been slowly taking my stuff home and I’m waiting for somebody to notice that my cubicle is practically empty.”

“Oh, is that why it looks so nice in here?” Pete asked. I rolled my eyes at him. “Hey, a few people have gotten wind that there’s going to be a big announcement tomorrow so they want to do happy hour. You up for it?”

I bit my lip. Did I trust myself to drink and not blab what I knew? I figured I could and if I couldn’t, what did it really matter?

“Sure,” I replied with a smile.

Happy hour was pretty fun, but it was difficult to listen to everyone gossip about what could possibly be announced and not say anything. It was nice to spend some time with my coworkers since I knew I wouldn’t see them much anymore.

Around 8, Pete asked if I was ready to go and, without even hesitating to question why he was asking me, I agreed. Pete and I ended up walking towards my apartment.

“I’m going to miss California weather,” I said as we walked down the street.

“Yeah,” Pete agreed. “So you’re definitely not staying here?”

I took a moment before answering. “I really don’t think so. There’s nothing keeping me here. Have you thought anymore about what you’re going to do?”

Pete sighed. “I, um, have,” Pete replied.

“Oh?” I asked, looking over at him. He was looking down at his feet.

“I had a phone interview with a company in Colorado.”

“Wow, really?” I enthusiastically asked. “That’s great!” I saw he wasn’t as excited about the statement as I was. “Do you not want to move back home?”

He laughed. “I do, sort of,” he replied. “It’ll be nice to be closer to my daughter. It sucks having to get on a plane to go see her.”

I felt for Pete. In all the time that I knew him, he was a great father to his little girl. Him and his ex-girlfriend never fought about parenting, either. It wasn’t an ideal situation, but he seemed to make it work. “I guess if you can move anywhere, it makes sense to move closer to her.” I paused for a moment. “So, why don’t you seem excited?”

Pete sighed. “It’s just a big change, that’s all. I do have a life here.”

I laughed. “I know, I know.”

“Plus,” he continued. “I was really convinced New York was the move. I mean, if I could have those bagels every morning, nothing else would matter.”

“Ugh, so true,” I replied as my mouth began to water.

“Who knows? Maybe it still is,” Pete said. “But this job in Colorado seems really cool and being near my family… It just feels right. I don’t know if I can start over again, you know?”

I nodded. “I totally get it,” I replied. He didn't explicitly say it, but I felt like he was apologizing to me for not wanting to follow me to New York, even though I wasn’t even sure I was going back home. I can’t lie; I was going to miss him and I would love to continue working together or, at the very least, live in the same place.

“Okay,” I began so that the awkward silence could go away. “How’s this for a shocked face?” I stopped walking and turned to face him. I made my eyes get really big and pushed my jaw as far down as I could.

Pete threw his head back in laughter. “Why don’t you just try to stay out of sight when they make the announcement? Maybe you can bury your face in your hands like you’re really upset or something?”

I snickered. “Thanks for the advice.”

We were back at my apartment within a few moments. “Well,” I began. “Thanks for walking me home. That was really nice of you.”

Pete smiled and rocked back on his heels. “You’re not going to invite me in?” He asked with a smirk.

I smiled as I felt my face getting red. “Do you wanna come in?”

Pete wiggled his eyebrows at me. “If,” he began, “you want me to come in.”

I felt like I was graduating college or heading back home after a successful week at summer camp. Everyone had survived and things were coming to an ending. What would a little more fun hurt?

So, I invited Pete in and he spent the night. The sex was even better than it was the first time. This time, we were able to take our time and it felt so good to cuddle afterwards.


The next morning, I woke up to Pete putting his shirt on. “Good morning, gorgeous,” Pete said with a kiss. He had to go home and change.

“I’ll see you at work, though. Don’t be late.”

5 comments:

  1. Eek! I'm loving this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love LOVE this whole thing with Pete!! So refreshing to have a guy that truly cares about her rather than playing her. Please keep it going at least for a little while longer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this storyline!!!! I need them to be together. I hope she shows up in colorado or Pete surprises her in NY. Either way, keep this going!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could totally see a love triangle between Caroline, moose and Pete!!!

    However Caroline also seems super happy with friends with benefits with Pete and nothing more. And I feel like he'll definitely choose his family over her (rightfully so). Nice to see her comfortable and going with the flow though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm like this. Pete is someone she is totally comfortable with and can be herself. The intimacy is a total bonus. Maybe she should check out the job market in CO!! mum

    ReplyDelete