Friday, May 1, 2015

Am I the only jealous one?

By the time Scott called me back, I was already cuddled up under my comforter with a bag of fat free popcorn about to catch up on some of my television shows.

"Hey," I answered in a cheerful tone.

"What's up, doll?" Scott asked in an equally cheerful manner. Ever since tax season ended, Scott had been a lot less stressed and seemed to enjoy work more.

"Not much, I'm home now," I replied, feeling weirdly shy about just blurting out that I had won an award.

"Cool. So how'd your presentation go?"

I smiled to myself. "Well," I began. "I'd say pretty great. I won an award for my category."

"Caroline!" Scott practically screamed in my ear. "You lead with that kind of news! That's quite the accomplishment!"

Scott has always been pretty supportive of my schooling and it really made me feel good, especially since I sometimes questioned my choice to pursue a masters degree without any concrete plans in place.

"Thanks," I responded, unable to stop smiling as I slunk further underneath my blankets. "How's work?"

"Not bad," Scott quickly responded. "I don't have too long to talk, though. I'm heading into a meeting in a few minutes. But what do you say we celebrate with dinner?"

"Tonight?" I asked, realizing that my mom had made reservations at an Italian place near my house and I was supposed to ask Scott to come along.

"No, maybe next weekend?"

I felt instant confusion. "Are you not going to be around this weekend?"

Scott laughed. "No, we can do something this weekend. But I have to get off now. Just check your email. Also, don't forget to put this award on your resume."

I felt my body slightly tense up. "Yup. Maybe I'll do it now."

"Okay. I have to go," Scott quickly replied. "I love you."

"I love you, too," I said back before saying goodbye and putting down my phone.

I grabbed my laptop as I let out a heavy sigh. It's not that I wasn't eager to brag about my accomplishments on paper, but I knew what I had to do with this resume after I finished it. I had to send it to Mike.

That's right. I said I had to email my ex-boyfriend. Sure, catching up with him for a matter of twenty minutes was one thing. It was nice, but is it possible to really be good friends with an ex? For other people, I can see it, but I hold on to so many old emotions, I just hope I can do it.

The best part is that emailing my resume to Mike was Scott's idea. Yeah, my current boyfriend suggested that I email my old boyfriend. 

It started when the two of us went out for breakfast the morning after I got my flat tire. Scott and I made plans to grab a bite before doing some shopping. I was nervous to tell him that I had met up with Mike, even though I had nothing to hide, because if he had casually hung out with his ex-girlfriend I don't know that I'd be super cool with it. After he told me not to be so jealous, though, I figured I could use that against him if it came to that.

"So," I began after I took a long sip of my coffee. "You know how I got that flat yesterday?"

Scott nodded. "Yeah,  I'm sorry I wasn't around. Was Anna pissed you didn't make it to her?"

I eagerly shook my head back and forth. "No, she understood. But I just wanted to mention something to you." A look of interest took over Scott's face. "You know how I had to wait a while for my brother to come?" Scott nodded. "Well, I broke down in my ex-boyfriend's town."

Scott scratched the back of his head. "Which one?" he asked with a sense of indifference.

"Mike," I replied. "The one I dated in college." I had informed Scott that I only really seriously dated two guys; Justin and Mike. I knew his only serious relationship was with Jenna, even though he had some flings before her. That was about as far as we went with the "ex" conversation.

"Oh," Scott replied. "So, did you run into him or something?"

I started nervously shifting my feet underneath the table. "I texted him," I said. I didn't feel like I did anything wrong but hearing myself say it out loud sounded ridiculous. "I had some time to kill and figured I'd see if he was nearby. He was so he met me for pizza."

Scott nodded as he picked up his cup and brought it to his lips. "Cool," he replied. "Thanks for letting me know. Have you guys stayed in touch?"

I feel like I know Scott pretty well at this point and maybe he was just playing it super cool, but it did not seem like he cared, like, at all that I was with my ex-boyfriend. He was acting like I just told him that I got an extra bag of chips out of a vending machine.

"No, actually," I answered. "I hadn't seen him in like a year." I don't know why I didn't instantly change the subject but I began telling Scott about how Mike just got a new job as a recruiter in the city. This, to my surprise, got the most attention from Scott.

"If he's a recruiter, maybe his company will have a job for you when you graduate."

I hadn't even thought about that, but Scott had a good point. We spent the rest of breakfast talking about what kinds of things I should be looking for when searching for jobs and Scott made me promise I'd send my resume to Mike so he could possibly set up something for me once I was done with classes.

I guess Scott really isn't the jealous type. At all. Am I the only jealous one?

7 comments:

  1. yes, you probably are the only jealous one, but, i think you pretty much handle it really well so far.

    So, how about just chilling a little. Like at the bar, when you saw him with that girl and you went over, you handled it well. He had no right to get upset. He may not have issues with jealousy, but he has issues with being trusted. He takes every kind of question when it comes to the opposite sex as jealousy. So in his own right, he does have some, but not when it comes to you and others, but when it comes to you and seeing him with others.

    So, next time, take a breath before you make a move. next time, if you see him and he doesn't have a drink in his hands, go get one first, then approach him and say "there you are. got this for you" then, don't even stick around to be introduced. just smile at the girl, say hey, what's up, and then tell him you're going back to the table and to take his time getting back.

    He does have some serious issues when it comes to being trusted that he needs to work on. and you do have some insecurities when it comes to other girls, but you've got reason to, just like he does. He says im not those other guys, well, youre not his ex either.. you both need to sit and have a chat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Caroline is definitely learning and I think she's still learning a lot about Scott. Thank you so much for your comment :)! I love reading them!

      Delete
  2. Come on Caroline, grow up a little bit. When you're in an adult relationship, everybody has a past and has ex lovers and boyfriends/girlfriends. The only reasons I can think of for why she would be worried that Scott would freak out that she saw Mike is either 1. She wants him to be a little jealous, or 2. She still has feelings for Mike so that's why she is feeling weird about it.

    It's like she's looking for a problem when there is none. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be worried too. No one knows how anyone else is going to react when an ex is involved. Cut her some slack. Justin would have flipped. Maybe it's just past experience making her nervous.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous 7:04 - Thank you for your comment! Caroline is definitely not perfect and I think she's learning how to handle this new relationship with this still semi new perfect. Hopefully you start liking/agreeing with her actions more.

      Anonymous 10:19 - You are so right about Justin! It's too bad we can't get Scott's perspective :-x but I never really understand men haha. Thanks for defending Caroline :-p

      Delete
  3. I think jealousy isn't just about the act itself, but the vibe from the person in question. Scott didn't handle the situation at the bar well at all. He was defensive and did little to make Caroline feel at ease. He was sitting too close for comfort with another woman and didn't choose to handle the perception of the situation with grace. Had he handled it differently, Caroline wouldn't be feeling shamed for her "jealously," instead she'd feel at ease. Caroline addressed the Mike situation from a standpoint of trying to help Scott not feel jealous. She was being honest and upfront and wanted to make Scott feel secure. That's the difference here. Scott was a dick at the bar. Caroline needs to stop doubting herself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point! Caroline definitely felt guilted about her jealousy and didn't put Scott in the same position. Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete