Friday, July 31, 2015

First Visitor

If I was any cornier in this particular moment, as I stood in my new floral sundress and wedges with a small piece of oak tag that had Scott's name written in pretty cursive lettering, I would probably be stoned to death by the other travelers at the airport. They thankfully spared me on this day.

I couldn't help but squeal when I saw Scott walking toward me with his large duffle bag in hand and a tired look on his face. I saw him before he saw me and the look on his face as he searched for me was beyond adorable.

Once he spotted me, his eyes lit up and the familiar butterflies in my stomach returned. I hadn't felt them this strong since I was in New York even though they made their presence subtly known whenever I heard Scott's voice.

As he walked over to me and noticed the sign, his shoulders dropped and a smirk crept over his face.

"You're adorable," he quickly said. He barely had the words out of his mouth before he dropped his bag at my feet, cupped my face in his hands, and planted a much anticipated kiss onto my lips. I couldn't have wanted this moment more.

Scott took off work the Friday that corresponded with my second weekend in California. I thought it might've been too soon for him to visit, but after my first weekend without him, or anybody from home, I couldn't wait for him to arrive. I had actually grabbed drinks with Shelby on Friday after work, but I mostly just worked on making my apartment more livable over the weekend. Shelby was really nice and we were getting along pretty well, but it still wasn't the same as having drinks with my best friends. It felt like a weird first date rather than a familiar gathering.

I honestly couldn't complain. I was so happy and motivated at work that the first couple weeks really flew by. Pete and I hadn't really had any more weird interactions. Maybe I had misread the first day. It might also have to do with more people starting in the department. There are now four employees at our set of cubicles. Besides Shelby, there's also a middle aged man who used to be a marriage counselor and a woman who is rumored to have been the Millionaire Matchmaker's assistant at one point. I knew there would be six of us by the end of July, but had no idea who else was starting.

Scott and I figured that we could spend Thursday night together and then while I was at work on Friday, he'd get to enjoy Santa Monica a bit. It's not like he would object to hanging out on the beach or checking out one of the bike tours.

"So, where are we going to dinner?" he asked me as we piled into the back seat of a cab.

"Um, there's a decent pizza place near me," I began while still staring at him. Two weeks away from your man will really leave you in awe of how attractive he really is in person, even if you have a crazy hot boss you see every day. "It's not New York pizza, though."

"Is that what you miss most about New York?" Scott asked as he wiggled his eyebrows up and down.

I bit my bottom lip and shook my head.

"So what do you miss most?"

I tilted my head and maintained our electrifying gaze. "I can show you before dinner if you're up for it."

Scott smiled and looked down. He silently began running his finger along the hem of my dress. "Let's order in."

Needless to say, Thursday night was amazing and I was probably glowing at work Friday. I knew the plan was for me to work a full day before meeting up with Scott, but I was thoroughly regretting it once I was sitting in my cubicle, mindlessly scrolling through online profiles. I kept telling myself that I would need other days off. I had to be somewhat strategic about using my valuable vacation time.

"Can you meet me for lunch?" I texted to Scott from the bathroom. We weren't technically prohibited from having our cell phones at work, but the receptionist had told me that a few people have been written up for excessive phone use over the past few months.

He responded right away. "Sure, where?"

"My apartment ;)"

"Haha. I'll meet you there with sandwiches."

I felt a tingle in my lady parts and I swear, it wasn't because there was mention of sandwiches.

I went back to my desk and continued working. By the time 12:58 hit, I was turning off my computer monitor and grabbing my purse from the bottom drawer of my desk. I swiveled my chair around and almost gasped when I saw Pete, leaning against the wall of my cubicle.

"Did I scare you?" Pete asked with a cocky smirk on his face.

"Um," I began, averting my eyes. "No, just, well, startled." I looked back up and innocently smiled.

"You seem eager to head out. Hungry?"

I wasn't sure what my eagerness to leave had to do with my appetite, until I realized that I was technically going on my lunch break and not a sex break.

"Yes," I said as I stood up. "Unless," I began before I could stop myself. "Do you need something?" I really didn't have time to make small talk with him or to complete a task for him before heading out, but I couldn't not ask when he was expectantly standing there.

He laughed and moved out of the way. "No, enjoy your lunch date."

My stomach flipped. "Uh," I began.

"I can tell there's a guy," he said as he put his hands in his pockets. "Take an extra hour."

Before I could even respond, he was turning on his heel and walking back toward his office.

11 comments:

  1. Chris - @nylonlover69 on IG/TwitterJuly 31, 2015 at 5:32 AM

    Just wondering, but I get that lunch is "an hour", but for you is it a specific hour? I don't deal with a time clock like the hourly employees here so I don't listen to the tones in the plant to specify when my breaks are. I get my lunch in pretty much any time I can/want to take it.

    But I had to go back and re-read to make sure that setting the time with Scott was done via text and not a phone call, because my first thought was there are microphones in the restroom...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on the company and I'll be addressing this as the blog continues, but for now she's been leaving around 1. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. I am so jealous of Caroline's job! What she gets to do is so cool and not boring.

    Glad she and Scott were able to reconnect without it being super awkward, that can definitely be A Thing when you haven't seen each other in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the job should continue to get even more interesting as time goes on! And I liked writing this post about Scott visiting. We'll see if as time goes on, their excitement changes to something else! Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  3. Love this post! So glad that Scott came for a visit! And I just have to say, this blog has been awesome lately!! It has always been good but I love it so much right now!! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so so much! Sometimes I lose motivation but comments like this help keep me going :)

      I definitely felt like at one point, I was in sort of a writing slump, but I feel like moving the story has helped. I'm glad you're noticing/enjoying that! Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  4. This is really not what I expected for Caroline and Scott, but I'm liking it so far. mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mum! We'll see where their relationship goes :)

      Delete
  5. Why do I get that feeling bag Scott is secretly job hunting while on this visit??

    Pete is creeping me out but I kind of like it ahaha!

    Awesome post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that would be nice! I like them together. And I agree that Pete is a little weird

      Delete
    2. Haha, I like the predictions! Thank you both for the input :)

      Delete