Friday, July 3, 2015

Where will I live?


I felt like I had so much more time when I agreed with Web Matcher about my start date, but all of a sudden it was July and I had less than a week left in New York.



I was flying out Sunday afternoon against my better judgment. I didn't think it was a great idea to arrive the day before I started, but also couldn't imagine not spending the Fourth of July with my family and friends.

I did, however, get a chance to fly out there for a few days. I had looked at listings for apartments on the internet and had a list of a few to check out before making a final decision. They were all available for the first of the month.

Anna had a few days off between teaching and the beginning of her camp job so she was able to come with me. "We have to go to the beach for at least a few hours one day," she said to me after agreeing to go. "And if I meet someone, don't get mad at me."

I laughed and rolled my eyes. "I've been there," I teased her. "I always seem to manage when you wander off."

"Hey," she protested with a smile. "I don't do it that much anymore. Besides, I got drinks with a guy the other night and I didn't want to immediately flee after my first pinot so there's some promise there."

Anna and I took an early flight out on a Tuesday and left late on Wednesday, giving us about two full days in California. I had two studio apartments and two apartments where I'd have roommates.

The first studio we looked at was the cheapest, so I had low expectations but high hopes. It was close enough to Web Matcher that I'd potentially be able to walk to work. Between transportation costs and the lower rent, I'd have more money to fly to New York and entertain the many guests I expected to come visit me. Yeah, all of the expectations I had with this place were way too high.

As soon as I walked inside I immediately wanted to leave. The place was described as 'immaculate' and it technically was, but it was just ugly. I almost squealed when Anna pinched me on my side. I looked at her and she was slightly shaking her head no behind the landlord's view.

Next, I was visiting an apartment a little bit further away. Even though it'd be kind of far from work, it was a good value and I figured if I liked the two girls who lived there, it'd be a good way to make some friends.

The place was beautiful and the girls who lived there obviously had a really great sense for design. The kitchen had brand new, wooden cabinets and an unscratched gray tile floor. My bedroom, which had its own bathroom attached, looked brand new. The walls were painted a dark purple and while it was small, there was a decent sized window overlooking the nice neighborhood.

"Caroline," Anna began with wide eyes. "If you don't live here, I'm quitting my job, getting certified in California, and leaving everything behind."

I laughed. "What about drink guy?"

"Fuck drink guy," she replied.

"Knowing you, I'm sure you already have," I teased her.

Anna laughed. "I plead the fifth."

The two girls who lived there seemed very nice, but I wasn't sure how well we'd get along. They were both blonde, both looking to become actresses, and both working at a restaurant in between auditions. I couldn't think of a more stereotypical California life, but that didn't make them any less nice and I was sure they'd be able to show me cool places in the area. Plus, they were both ridiculously tan so I knew I'd have beach buddies.

They told me they'd be in touch and I told them the same. I still wanted to see the last two places before I made a decision and they both had other girls coming to look at the room, as well.

"I'm not getting attached to that place," I told Anna while on the bus.

"Why not?" She loudly asked.

"Well, I don't even know if they'll pick me," I defended.

"Oh, shut up," she replied. "They'll pick you. Then you'll have that awesome apartment to bring guys back to. Fuck, the sex I'd have in that place." She whistled and just started smiling.

"You're such a weirdo," I replied as I looked around to see how close we were. "But it doesn't matter. The only guy I'm going to be fucking in that apartment is Scott." I felt a ping of sadness as I said that. "Hopefully," I finished.

For the past few weeks, whenever I thought about what would happen to me and Scott, I felt really sad. I realized that I wanted to stay with him, but I really didn't know how that would all work out.

"I think we're here," Anna said, suddenly getting my attention. As the bus came to a stop, Anna looked at me. "Hey," she began. "If that's what you want, I'm sure Scott will make it work. He loves you."

"Thanks," I replied before taking a deep breathe.

We got off the bus and looked at the next studio. It was pretty nice and I could definitely see myself living there. Then, we went to the next apartment, where a guy was living. He had a room available, but we'd be sharing a bathroom. That apartment was also really nice and well priced. I realized this wouldn't be a black and white decision.

As Anna began flirting with my potential new roommate, I looked out the window and bit my bottom lip. This was really happening. I was moving across the country and living on my own.

Now, it's Fourth of July weekend. Independence Day. And I'll be celebrating my new independence in New York.

2 comments:

  1. This post was really exciting!! I can't wait for Caroline to move :)

    ReplyDelete