Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The Airport

As Scott and I drove to the airport, we began by talking about the last few days. You would think by listening to us that we didn't have this lingering decision hanging over our heads. Since I wasn't bringing it up, I couldn't expect him to. Maybe we didn't need to talk about it. Maybe we were both content with staying together and seeing how things went once I was out there. Was it actually possible for us to avoid this conversation? I began to imagine him giving me a romantic send off as he told me he loved me and even thousands of miles wouldn't change that.

Well, I was wrong.

"So," he began as I caught his grip tightening on the steering wheel. "Where's your head at?"

I didn't fully understand the question. "What do you mean?"

Scott sighed. "Am I driving you all the way here just to be dumped at the terminal? Or are you going to wait until you've landed so you can just text me the news?"

"What?" I exclaimed turning my entire torso so I was facing him in the car. "You think that's what I'm going to do?"

I could see Scott's jaw clenching but he waited a moment before speaking. I didn't know if he was trying to keep himself from yelling at me or crying. "What am I supposed to think?" He asked as he face softened. "You get this job, accept it, and pack your bags. All of this went on without a word to me about our relationship."

I felt slightly deflated. "I guess I was just waiting for the right moment. I mean, you didn't bring it up either."

"I'm not the one moving," he loudly replied as soon as I finished saying my statement. "Plus, you told me you didn't want to decide anything too early! Why would I bring it up?"

I hadn't thought of this. Of course it was my job to bring it up. "You're right," I replied as I felt myself getting smaller in the passenger seat. "I honestly didn't think of it that way. And, I guess I was putting it off." I felt my eyes filling with tears but I tried to wipe them away before Scott noticed.

I heard him slightly laugh. What was so funny? I looked over at him and he quickly met my eyes before returning his view to the road. "Don't cry," he said. "Just talk to me."

I tried to stop the tears from coming but they wouldn't so I decided to talk through them. "I love you. You know I love you. I hate that this job is taking me away from you. As excited as I've been these past few weeks, it makes me sick to my stomach to think about losing you." I stopped talking because I was getting choked up.

I heard Scott sigh. "Don't get upset, C." I put my face in my hands and just let the tears come out. I began to let everything go that I had been bottling up since I found out the job was in California.

Scott was silent for a minute or two. Then, I felt the car come to a stop.

I looked up. We couldn't possibly be at the airport yet.

Scott had pulled over into a pitstop area. There was a gas station along with a few shops.

"Do you want a coffee?" He asked as if nothing was wrong. "Or a treat?" He raised his eyebrows up and down as he asked the second question. I couldn't help but laugh. Whenever we go to get coffee, I either get a hot black coffee or I go completely over the top and get an iced latte with whipped cream and chocolate syrup.

"A treat," I said, wiping my eyes. "A small one, though."

Scott smiled and nodded. "Just relax, okay?" He kissed my forehead and grabbed his wallet before walking into the building.

I took a few deep breathes and composed myself. At least I had my breakdown in the privacy of Scott's car rather than in the airport with hundreds of onlookers.

Scott returned and I immediately began drinking my 'treat.' He took a sip of his iced coffee before setting it into the cup holder.

"You know, I actually researched some jobs out there," Scott quickly began. "But I'm up for this promotion and... I don't know." Scott let out a heavy sigh again. "I can't just follow you, you know? Would you even want me to?"

"Of course I would!" I exclaimed. "Scott, I would love it if you were with me."

Scott coyly smiled. "Well, that's good to hear."

I was feeling a lot better at this point. "Listen," I said as I cleared my throat. "People do this all the time. My friend's cousin just spent six months barely speaking to her husband because he was deployed."

"Yeah, but this is different. You decided this."

I was stunned by Scott's words. They seemed almost aggressive. "What?" I asked.

"I'm just saying," he said, his tone softening. "You're not getting deployed to war. You're taking a job. You're..." He paused for a moment before finishing his sentence. "You're going to have a whole new life out there."

I felt myself choking up again. "Scott," I began as I reached my hand over and placed it on his. "Please believe me when I say this. I am not moving to California to get a new life. I am just trying to do what's best for my future." I took a deep breathe. "You make me want to succeed. You make me want to, well, be a better person."

I looked into Scott's eyes. We didn't say anything for a moment and then he kissed me. I could barely even handle how much love I felt for him at that moment.

"You're going to miss your flight," he suddenly said as he put the car into drive.

36 comments:

  1. Ahh all the feels. I don't know how I feel anymore!! Scott following her would be sweet but I don't know I'm not totally sold on him..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She hasn't gotten on the plane yet! More emotions to come Friday :-p

      Delete
  2. Aww this moment was so cute and I can't wait to see what happens when they get to the airport!!

    doespixidustwork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm excited to write it! Lol

      Delete
  3. I love them together. I really want this to be a beautiful and sweet relationship for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! Aren't 'happily ever afters' great? :)

      Delete
  4. I love this blog, but I have to admit that I think this part of the story has dragged out for too long. I just want to know what they're going to decide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can understand that :-/ I just didn't wanna go through it to quick but one more post should do it. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. Oh Scott.. I feel bad for their situation but the fact that he's been looking for jobs to be near Caroline is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? The situation definitely sucks :( but that's life, I guess!

      Delete
  6. Oh, I love Scott! So sweet of him to pull over and get C. a treat!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems like every storyline is long and drawn out and it gets annoying after a while. For two weeks worth of posts were focusing on the same day and issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you feel this way :-/ I'll keep it in mind!

      Delete
  8. I actually just wanted to say that I am kind of happy this storyline was a bit longer than others. I think that the depth of the problem is much more intense than say, Caroline seeing his hands on another girl at the bar. I've enjoyed reading Caroline's emotions about this, and as much as I am not sold on Scott, I am curious to hear more about his side of things. Even in this post, Scott doesn't return the "I love you" and I haven't seen some big, grand gesture from him. Maybe it is just me, but I would want the guy I'm in love with to have a few more words to say before I packed my bags!

    sheerluckandpixiedust.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying it. As for Scott, I'm kind of glad people have mixed opinions on him, but I'm sorry you don't like him as much :( lol. Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  9. Ahhhhhhmygod, this post! Good job capturing an intense conversation, and I really want this to work out between them now!! (so different from where I was a couple of months ago, I know, but thankfully we change sometimes)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you have definitely flipped sides! Love it :-p

      Delete
  10. As much as I want them to work I also can't wait for single in a new city Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to see a post on Scott's perspective on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about doing a post from his perspective (because I saw it on another blog and thought it was interesting!) but I don't know, I kind of want to just keep it from Caroline's point of view. I've thought of little ways to give more of his perspective, though! I'm going to try and utilize those. Thanks for the input :)

      Delete
  12. I like this, it's very reminiscent of when my husband moved away. We were dating in Hawaii and he had to move for good - to Florida. Heartbreaking. Then I visited for a week and had to go back to Hawaii. Heartbreaking. I can relate to the unknowing and sadness that goes with this. Not fun, but fantastic writing.
    That said, I am on the side of "wrap this up." Good storyline, but it is dragging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I'm sorry you went through something similar! Thanks for your comment :) and I swear it's almost over :-p

      Delete
  13. Personally.. I'm not a fan of Scott. Idk, there just seems to be something about him I don't like. And why did she have to bring up their relationship just because she was moving? Theyre both in the relationship, they're both adults. He just acts sometimes like everything is always on her and that's not fair. He could have and should have brought it up well before the ride to the airport, too. I kinda wish she was leaving single... new life, new start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm sorry if this wasn't clear but Caroline had said she didn't want to make any definitive decisions about their relationship a few weeks ago, so that's why he said he didn't want to be the one to bring it up. I definitely think a new start would be good for Caroline, but sometimes I don't even know exactly where I want the story to go! Thank you for your comment :)

      Delete
  14. I do wish Scott was moving with her. If they both love each other, they should be together.. (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the world always worked that way :-x

      Delete
  15. I don't know how I feel about this blog. I keep reading thinking that it will speed up but it doesn't. Every storyline goes on too long. Maybe it's because each post is so short. We spend weeks on a text that meant nothing and weeks on this. There isn't any character development and I don't know if I'd want to be friends with Caroline in real life. She's not very likeable and is always worrying about something insignificant. Maybe it's just me but I think this entire storyline moving her to the West Coast is very reminiscent of Love, Sex and Pizza. I hope things speed up soon and it gets more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you feel this way :-/ Also, I know in LSP Josie moved to the West Coast, but I think it's impossible to have a completely unique blog if you want to have something exciting! I can tell you, I was looking into a job (in real life) that's similar to this one and located in a similar area so that was my inspiration for writing this storyline. I'll keep your thoughts in mind.

      Delete
  16. Caroline, I just want to say that I think you do a really great job of responding really well to all the comments, positive and negative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olivia! I have to admit, it's not always super easy :-x but I try to understand everyone is trying to help me improve :-)

      Delete
  17. The story definitely has taken a slower pace, but I've enjoyed it. I think it has really allowed your writing to develop and while it's a different approach, there's nothing wrong with it. Sure it might take longer to see things work themselves out, but that's how real life is as well. I like Caroline...she used to annoy me, but youve done a great job allowing her character to mature and grow into her own. Her quirks and awkwardness as she continues to gain confidence in herself just make her that much more realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've grown to like Caroline! Thanks for the support and comment :)

      Delete
  18. I do wish Scott was moving with her. If they both love each other, they should be together.. (sigh)

    ReplyDelete