Friday, July 17, 2015

Take Off

I bit the inside of my cheek as I felt the urge to scream in pain.

"Babe, I told you to let me carry that one." Scott grabbed the big duffel bag from my left hand. "Are you okay?"

I rubbed my left hip once my hand was free. As I quickly grabbed the bag from my trunk, something hard hit into the side of my body. "I think it was my straightener," I said to Scott as I pouted.

Scott smiled and leaned down. He lifted up my tank top just enough so my hip was exposed before he lightly kissed it.

"It doesn't hurt anymore," I responded with an exaggerated smile.

Scott laughed. "What are you going to do when you bump into stuff in California? I'm not going to be able to kiss it and make it better."

I frowned. "Don't remind me!" I squealed with a smile. I was glad Scott and I were able to keep things so light when it was such a sad moment.

We made our way into the airport and continued walking until we got to security. I pushed my sleeve back to examine my watch. "Wanna grab a bite?" I asked even though I knew it'd be cutting it close.

Scott sighed and looked around. "Um, you know, I'm not really that hungry." His eyes landed on an area with couches that wasn't near any restaurants. "Want to just sit?"

I nodded and we shuffled ourselves over to an empty love seat.

"So," I began as I met Scott's eyes.

"So," he repeated, his eyes softening as they looked into mine.

"Are we doing this?" I asked, still kind of confused. "I mean, I don't want to break up." After our discussion in the car, I felt like we didn't need to converse much more. It seemed like he wanted to make things work, but we didn't really get into the specifics. I had never done long distance, though. Were we supposed to figure it all out now?

Scott leaned back and placed his arm behind me. "Yeah, I don't want to either." He smiled and looked away from me. "I honestly just thought you were going to dump me as soon as we got here."

"Really?" I asked.

"Yeah," he replied as he smoothed the back of his hair a bit. He really needed to get it cut. "You're a planner. I would've thought you would've had like, a spread sheet of how you wanted this to all go down."

I playfully swatted him. Then I rolled my neck as I tried to let go of some nerves. "Long distance is just so, bleh. I figured there was no way in hell you'd want to try it." I paused for a moment. "But I never really thought I'd want to try it. Yet, here I am." I placed my hand on his and smiled. "It's all I can imagine doing."

Scott let out a sigh and he looked more relieved than I've seen him in weeks. "I have been going nuts trying to figure out where you stood on this for weeks," Scott said. "You know, you're not too easy to read." He raised an eyebrow at me and the corner of his mouth went up.

"Look who's talking!" I loudly exclaimed and Scott's eyes got big at my enthusiasm. I began laughing and turning red as I realized people were alarmed by my volume. "You're not exactly an open book either."

Scott shrugged. "I can be. I mean, I will be."

I picked up my legs and put them over his lap. (PDA is totally more acceptable at airports; It's a thing.)

"So," I began as I pointed my finger at me, then him, and then back again. "We're definitely doing this."

Scott leaned over and gave me a long, lingering kiss. "We're doing this," he said as he pulled his lips off of mine, but left his face close.

As we pulled apart and I began to gather my things, I could feel tears welling up. Before I got a chance to wipe them away, I felt Scott's hands doing it for me.

"I'm sorry," I began. "I'm being a baby."

"No, you're not. Besides, you can't even imagine what I'm about to look like as I drive home."

I laughed. "You're not going to cry," I said. I never saw Scott cry. The closest I got was on the drive here when he looked like he could have possibly had something in his eye.

"I might," he said with raised eyebrows. "I have my T Swift playlist all ready."

I laughed. Ugh, I was going to miss this guy.

As we began walking to the security line, I asked him how this was going to work. "I mean, are you going to fly out sometimes and I'll fly to you other times? How much are we going to communicate? There is a time difference. It's not huge but it'll be something we have to be conscious about."

"I think we'll work all that out," Scott replied. "I love you, Caroline, and if anybody can make long distance, it'll be us."

I was about to challenge him on that statement. If anybody could make a long distance relationship work, it would be a couple with award winning communication skills. As much as we loved each other in the eight months or so that we've been together, we were not the greatest at always being on the same page.

However, I understood that the premise of what he was saying was sweet. "Yup," I replied before giving him a quick peck on the lips. "I'll call you when I land?"

Scott nodded and pulled me in for a suffocating hug.

Scott watched me go through security and once I was done, I turned to look at him before walking to my terminal. It was far, but I swear I saw a tear in his eye as he waved.

21 comments:

  1. Is it wrong that it totally bothered me that she didn't say 'I love you' back to him. I think she is so immature about this entire relationship. I totally see it crashing and burning very soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, possibly an oversight. Their relationship will definitely be tested! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. She says she loves Scott and doesn't want to break up but as soon as they decide on a long distance relationship and Scott is saying all the right things she has doubts? Wtf? Caroline is immature and needs to grow up. If you don't think it'll work move on and stop stringing Scott along. I'm so over her wishy washiness and acting like she's so perfect. Scott can do better. Also where are her girlfriends? Shouldn't they have at least texted her goodbye? I understand trying to be real but Caroline is so self absorbed. She wanted Scott abd now that he wants to try and make it work she's having second thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that she's specifically doubting their relationship, but more long distance relationships in general. I totally get where you're coming from, though! And I'm sure she may be communicating with her friends, but I have to leave out some stuff. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  3. I don't think she's being immature, although they really should have talked about this before they did. Long distance is super tough, and she's right, they don't have a history of good communication. I think it's necessary to approach a situation like that with a lot of pragmatism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it takes a lot to do long distance! We'll have to see what happens :-p

      Delete
  4. Why do you make me cry!?! I'm happy they will try it out but I don't see it lasting. I see her meeting a co worker and spending time
    With him...just a guess!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my thought as well! I actually really like Scott and was secretly hoping he would make a grand gesture and just come out to Cali with Caroline.... but to me, it SEEMS like Caroline is just not as vested in their relationship as one would need to be in order to sustain a Long distance relationship. At least that's the vibe I keep getting. Like, she says she loves him; but it just feels temporary for some reason. And that sucks, cause I really grew to like Scott. Anywho... yeah, I do not see this arrangement lasting long (sadly).

      Delete
    2. Thank you guys for your predictions! I hope you like where the story goes :)

      Delete
  5. I do like Scott and I wish she didn't doubt it but I personally think it's hard to maintain long distant relationship.

    www.elinainlondon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, long distance sucks! I'm excited to write about it.

      Delete
  6. Aw I'm happy that they are trying the long distance thing and I am incredibly curious to see where it goes!

    http://doespixidustwork.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  7. They have only been dating for eight months!! They're both newer to serious relationships. It is obvious they both care for the other, but they still have a lot to navigate as a couple. If I were Caroline, I would have been ridiculously uncomfortable if Scott had insisted on following me. It's hard enough making that decision for yourself, let alone feeling like you influenced someone else's. That would be way too much pressure at this point and Caroline needs his support/love from a distance whole she adjusts to a new job. Her doubts are justified and I think she's actually being pretty level headed about everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think Scott was necessarily insisting on following her, but it came across his mind. Then he asked her if she would even want him to. Thank you for your comment :)

      Delete
  8. I thought this post was well written and really reflects real life. I'm curious to see if their long distance relationship will work!
    http://lifeloveandernursing.blogspot.com


    ReplyDelete
  9. Caroline is one of those women who want to be loved but is incapable of returning that love. Scott has been so vulnerable and honest with her. She says she loves Scott but how does she show it? I see her hooking up with the first man that looks her way or finding some way to paint Scott as a bad boyfriend. Nothing is good enough for her. She isn't gods gift to men and needs to be real with Scott instead of playing him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you feel this way about Caroline :( but thank you for your opinion! I'll keep these thoughts in mind.

      Delete
  10. Aww I was keeping up with your blog a while ago and just recently started catching up on posts again. I still need to read back and find out how Caroline and Scott got together.

    Part of me is very hopeful for Caroline and Scott. It will be a challenge but I'm looking forward to seeing how long distance goes for them.

    And part of me will always be team Moose. lol Maybe I'm the only one who thinks so but I think they'd be good together! hahah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back!!! Don't worry, there are still people on Team Moose out there :-p. Although I have to say it seems like the count has gone down some. I'm glad you have a chance to catch up on posts. I hope you enjoy!!

      Delete