Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Yoga Monday

"You're going to love it," Michelle insisted as she pulled into the parking lot of her gym. "This instructor has changed my life."

I couldn't help but mentally roll my eyes at the cliches spilling out of Michelle's mouth. Michelle was a close work friend, but we hadn't hung out much outside of scarfing down Thai food during lunch breaks. I've managed the card store for a couple months and since it's not exactly a career job, even for me, I mostly work with high school and college students. Even though I was technically their boss, I got along with most of them like friends. I particularly gravitated towards Michelle, who was three years my junior.

When I complained about the "new relationship" weight I was putting on, she insisted I do yoga with her.

"Do you even burn calories doing that?" I asked as I took a bite of rice.

"I sweat a lot and definitely feel stronger since I've started. I'm also much more flexible, which I'm sure your new boyfriend will appreciate," she said with a wink.

I muffled a laugh as I tried not to choke on my food. I reluctantly agreed. I had tried yoga in the past but could never really get into it. I looked down at my stomach and figured I'd try anything to avoid gaining any more weight. I never considered myself heavy, but I was always striving to lose those extra ten pounds. I definitely couldn't tolerate gaining weight.

We began stretching in the room as we waited for the instructor to arrive. "So, how's Justin?" Michelle asked while doing a butterfly stretch.

A smile spread across my face at the mention of his name. "Really good," I replied without divulging too much. It was actually surprising to me how good Justin and I were doing. The first night we met, I felt immediately drawn to Justin. Despite the few instances of premature jealousy, we had virtually no conflicts. Whenever we were together, things felt so effortless. I knew it was still early, so I didn't want to get my hopes up, but it was hard not to. I remembered feeling like this with Mike, but then we started having problems. I crossed my fingers that the same pattern didn't occur with Justin.

Michelle and I continued to make small talk until a petite, blond girl walked into the class with iPhone speakers and a large Fuji water. She greeted the class before setting up her speakers and starting.

I comfortably followed the first few positions the instructor did. I tried to focus on my breathing and emptying my mind as I switched from one position to the next, but as the moves became harder, I had a hard time simply maintaining each one. At one point, she told us to put one leg straight up in the air while balancing on our opposite knee. I thought I finally had it when she walked over to me.

"Move your leg so it's straight," she quietly said to me. Was this lady for real? I thought my leg was straight.

By the end of the class, I didn't feel like I had gotten a real work out but I was glad I tried it. Michelle dropped me off and I quickly showered before deciding to head to Starbucks. I figured I at least deserved a non-fat latte and I wanted to study for my GREs. At the end of May, I promised myself I would study at least ten hours a week so I'd be fully prepared for the test once the summer was over. However, between my laziness and spending time with Justin, I had barely studied at all. Since it was now August, I needed to really catch up.

I sat at a small table and opened up the ginormous exam preparation book to take a practice test. I had taken the test once before, so I was familiar with it, but I barely studied. My scores were okay, but they needed to be higher if I wanted to get into a doctoral program.

I was finishing up the first section when I heard someone say my name. I looked up and saw Moose, standing over my table, wearing a really nice gray suit.

"I'm sorry, do I know you?" I jokingly asked. "You look like a friend of mine but he doesn't dress nearly as sharp as you do."

He smirked at me. "Yeah, corporate life is slowly stealing my soul. I had to go to the city today to meet with human resources and fill out a bunch of paperwork." Moose was starting at an accounting firm in September, since he recently passed his CPA exams.

"Fun," I replied. "Come sit with me after you order. I could totally use a break from this," I said as I picked up my book and flashed the cover at him.

"Sounds like a plan," he said as we walked over to the counter. Moose was a really good friend of mine and even though there was some sexual tension there, I figured this was as good a time as any to fix any awkwardness.

Moose walked over with a small black coffee. "Wow, you're boring," I joked.

He silently smirked as he looked down at his cup. "So, Billy told me you brought a guy bowling," he said, avoiding eye contact with me. I couldn't believe he was opening with that.

I tried not to hesitate before responding. "Yeah, his name's Justin. I think you guys would get along."

"I can't wait to meet him," Moose said with a half smile. I felt bad, but I was glad Moose was at least trying to be happy for me.

We talked for another hour before walking out together.

"I'm glad we ran into each other," I said with a sincere smile.


"Me too, Caroline," Moose replied. He gave me a hug before walking across the parking lot to his car.

9 comments:

  1. Chris - @nylonlover69 on TwitterAugust 6, 2014 at 7:30 AM

    It always hurts when your unrequited crush is happy and in a relationship without you! Moose sounds like a nice guy, hope he finds someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Maybe Moose will be around sooner than we think though, this blogs have a way of working their way towards the unexpected.

      www.poetsandheartbreakers.com

      Delete
    2. Moose is great! He did cause some conflict in the last relationship though and he lets his emotions get the best of him sometimes :-/ We'll see how his character develops!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I wish I could get into it! I'm always doing the moves wrong and feel even more stressed afterwards :-|

      Delete
  3. I hate yoga. It's too slow. I'm waiting for someone to come up with speed yoga. Not sure how it work though. It's sweet that she has a friend who is trying so hard to be happy for her

    thecrazyobservatory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I think fast yoga is a great idea! Let me know when you work out the kinks :-p

      Delete
  4. I've never tired Yogo it just looks painful lol..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it definitely can be. I can't even really get meditation down or anything like that. I'm just not that type of person, I suppose

      Delete