Friday, April 3, 2015

Am I Boring?

I hadn't seen my friends much the past few months. The night that we went to the coffee house had been one of the few times I had caught up with them. We periodically met up for drinks or dinner but the cold temperatures, combined with the cold demeanors of these cheery best gal pals of mine, had kept me in a sort of hibernation mode. Now that it's April, though, I guess it's time for this heavy bear to stretch her arms and renter the world.

Not only was I unenthused by the weather here in New York, but I was also swarmed with school work. I graduate from graduate school in May and I could not be happier. If only that happiness came with a nice job offer. To be quite honest, it's not so much about finding a job but more about finding the right job. I'll have a master's degree in psychology but what does that really mean? I can do so much with it and all the choices are blowing my mind. I thought by now I'd have some epiphany but so far, I'm exactly where I was when I finished my undergraduate. Except, two years older. Fuck.

I've been working on some research and I have three conferences to go to this summer, so I'm hoping those may point me in the right direction.

I hadn't been seeing a ton of my friends, but I had been seeing a lot of Scott. You could say I'm committing a cardinal, but I'm not choosing to hang out with Scott over my friends. I know that's hard to believe, but with a boyfriend, I feel like you can be so much lazier than with friends. On occasion, my friends and I will hang out and bum around, whether we're watching a movie or working on our laptops together, but for the most part, we don't. I see Scott one or two times during the week, but a lot of the time we're just laying in his bed. We'll watch our shows (yup, we're at THAT stage) and sometimes he even falls asleep next to me while I finish a paper or some other crucial assignment.

As spring barely sprung (I mean, on the first official day of spring, it snowed), Anna and I made plans to go shopping. I figured, and desperately hoped, that the following months would be filled with job interviews, in addition to some form of professional work. Anna had similar aspirations in regards to finding a full time teaching gig.

"Subbing is bull shit," she said into a circle of hangers at the department store we began our journey in.

"Well, you need the subbing to get the jobs, right?" I asked, trying to sound encouraging.

"Yeah, but it's been, like, a year. I want my own classroom, my own students, my own lessons, my own..."

"Paycheck?" I interrupted, raising an eyebrow at her.

"Yeah," she groaned in response while simultaneously widening her eyes at the price tag of a dress she had picked up.

After a few more stops, and multiple shopping bags in hand, we stopped for a late lunch. As we sat in the booth with my large soup in a bread bowl, I heard my phone ding. I took it out of my bag and smiled as I read Scott's name on the screen.

"Hey, you still coming over later?" his text read.

As I began quickly typing back a response, Anna had settled down across from me with her coffee and brownie. "Texting Scott over there?"

I smiled and put my phone down. "Yeah, we're hanging out later."

"What exciting plans do you two have planned?" Anna asked.

I shrugged as the first sip of soup warmed my insides. I'm so tired of this cold, but I will miss how much I enjoy a hot bowl of soup in the winter. "I don't know," I honestly answered. "Probably going to hang out around his house. We might go out for a late dinner."

Anna smirked. For some reason, it was a very irritating smirk.

"What?" I asked, trying to keep any defensiveness out of my voice.

"Nothing," Anna replied, getting wide eyed and beginning to look guilty. I felt like I had just caught my dog peeing on the garbage can. After I gazed at her in silence for what felt like a minute, she finally sighed and spoke again. "Please, please, don't take this the wrong way. I know you're super happy with Scott. I know that we're very different people. So I'm just going to be honest with you, but I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with your relationship."

I gulped. It sounded like Anna was going to say something that would make my insides curl.

"I just, I don't know, would be so bored if I were you," she continued, without making eye contact with me. "I mean, again, this is just me, but I feel like the only exciting thing you guys have done since you've been together was go to Atlantic City."

This was true, and I know Anna has her faults, but I didn't feel like she was trying to be a bitch at all. I did force her to say this, after all.

"Well," I began. "Like you said, we're different people. No offense taken."

Anna looked relieved as she stuffed half the brownie in front of her in her mouth. She quickly changed the subject and we talk about my relationship with Scott for the rest of the day. As we went our separate ways and I began to drive to Scott's house, I couldn't help but run over the conversation in my head. She would be bored if she were me. Were we boring? Should I be looking for more excitement ? Fuck, was Scott bored?

I arrived at Scott's house and as I walked up to the front door, who do I run into? His sister, Jenna.

2 comments:

  1. I was at that stage about a month into my relationship. We'll be married 3 years next month. Boring is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on the anniversary! Boring is good for real life, but not too good for a blog. Excitement should ensue soon ;)

      Delete