Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Beer Garden: Part One



Hallelujah! It's Tax Day!

I know that's not the reaction most people have to April 15th, but it is mine and probably anybody else's who is dating an accountant.

Scott does a lot with taxes at his job. I don't know much about differing accountants, but I know that his job is slightly different than Moose's job, who has told me that tax season doesn't really influence how much work he does, which I think is something with auditing.

Scott agreed to come with me to the city. It was finally getting nicer out, so Moose suggested a beer garden in Manhattan. Sometimes, I'd prefer to hang out somewhere on Long Island, since the train can be a hassle, but then I realize I'm being ungrateful. A forty minute train ride from one of the greatest cities in the world and I can't be bothered? Come on, Caroline.

My friends and I have been to a few beer gardens, which seem to be getting more and more popular, and we are rarely disappointed. They have great outdoor, as well as semi-indoor, seating and so many unique types of beer. I threw on my favorite pair of black jeans and paired it with a plaid button down I recently purchased during an online shopping binge.

Scott picked me up so we could grab dinner before catching a train. We went to a new restaurant that recently opened and my boss had recommended. When we arrived, it was packed but Scott had luckily made a reservation. The place was a unique mix between Mexican and Italian, with a design that I can only describe as rustic. All the decor was made of wood but it felt weirdly upscale. When we sat down and began surveying the menu, the guacamole quickly caught my eye.


“Want to split the guacamole?” I eagerly asked.

“Only if we can split the flaming cheese, also,” Scott replied, mirroring my enthusiasm. “Great restaurant pick, babe.”


“Thanks,” I cheerfully replied. Scott seemed in much better spirits than he’d been over the past few weeks. It wasn’t that he’d been in a bad mood. He just seemed tired all the time. He seemed excited for a night out, though. He was wearing a dark grey V-neck and while I love how he looks more dressed up, it was nice to see him looking, and feeling, more casual.

After splitting the starters, we also split a mini margarita pizza and angry fish tacos. I was feeling pretty full and we also had two margaritas each so I was feeling a slight buzz by the time we stood up to leave. Scott drove us back to his house before Martin picked us up for the train. I hadn’t seen Martin in a few weeks and I didn’t even realize Scott had invited him along until he told me over dinner. I quickly sent Anna a text to give her fair warning. Since her and Martin were never really serious, their relationship died out shortly after New Year’s Eve. I’m sure she hadn’t seen him in at least two months.

“Haha, thanks for the heads up,” Anna quickly texted me back. “You guys are going to make our train, right?”

Since I was taking the train with Scott and Martin, I was going to meet most of my friends at a later stop. I quickly told her we would before arriving at the station, buying our tickets, and heading for the platform.

I thought it would be difficult to find my friends, but as soon as we stepped onto the train, I could hear them at the end of the car. Almost all of my guy friends were there, along with Anna, Darlene, and Jessica. I didn’t see Beth, Moose’s girlfriend, around so I wondered if she wasn’t coming but when I asked Darlene if she knew anything about it, she told me Beth was meeting us in the city.

“She very rarely stays on the island,” Darlene quietly continued in my ear as my guy friends rambunctiously talked while drinking beer, a common visual you’ll see on any weekend LIRR train. “Sometimes she stays at her parent’s place, but I know Moose usually stays with her in the city.”

I nodded as I returned my attention to the group. With the whole group of us, we took up a good portion of the train car. Most of my guy friends from high school have really hectic careers along with girlfriends who live in the city or old college friends that they see a lot, but on nights like these I was happy to see them.

We arrived at Penn Station and quickly grabbed a subway to the beer garden. I stood next to Scott on the subway and nuzzled up next to him as he held on to the subway poll. “So what’s this place like?” he asked.

“I don’t know,” I answered without pulling myself away from him. “But I’m so glad you came out tonight.”

“Wouldn’t miss it for the world,” he said. We got to our stop minutes later.

The tables inside were long and the lights were dim but hung low over the tables. We could barely move inside. Everywhere you looked, people were carrying beer in boot shaped pitchers. We found a place outside and while it wasn’t exactly Spring yet, I was happy to be outside.

Beth and two of her friends showed up a little while later. I was catching up with a few of my guy friends throughout the night and was happy to see Scott having conversations with several of my friends on his own. I love when a guy I’m seeing can maintain a conversation without having to be glued by my side.

After a trip to the bathroom with Darlene and Jessica, I walked out feeling particularly tipsy, but I froze when I saw Scott. Tucked away in a corner. Talking close to a girl in a tight, strapless, black dress.

4 comments:

  1. Chris - @nylonlover69 on IG/TwitterApril 15, 2015 at 6:02 AM

    And? And he had is tongue jammed down her throat? He had his hand up her dress? He's so drunk he thought it was you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not Scott. In her tipsy haze she mistakes him for someone else and has an embarrassing moment. mum

    ReplyDelete