Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Rewind: Meet the Parents

I was surprised to see Jenna, standing there in her usual attire: yoga pants and a black cami. Her hair was thrown up in a blonde bun that looked flawlessly perfect that made me jealous. She walked closer to me as I contemplated dying my hair blonde.

Once she was an arm's length from me, she threw her hands around my neck. "I'm so glad I got to see you!" She exclaimed.

Oh, yeah. Have I mentioned that Jenna and I get along now? Actually, we more than get along. We're kind of, well, friends. It was a weird and swift transition but I obviously couldn't be happier with the turn of events.

"I didn't know you were home this weekend!" I said as she released her grip. The girl was strong.

"Yeah, I got in late last night," she replied. She slightly frowned. "I thought Scott would've to you."

I shrugged. "I guess it didn't come up," I honestly answered.

Jenna rolled her eyes. "Well, good luck," she warned me. "He's in a grumpy mood. I saw him in the kitchen and he was mumbling something about March Madness."

Oh, great. I don't know much about basketball, especially not college, but I knew enough to know his bracket was probably over.

"Thanks for the heads up," I replied.

After that, Jenna was off. She said she was meeting her high school friends to pregame before heading to a bar that was known for serving underage.

I took out my phone and sent Scott a quick text to let him know I had arrived. I took a few more steps until I was on Scott's beautiful, brick red steps. I only waited a few seconds before the door flung open.

"Oh," I gasped as I met eyes with Scott's mom. "Hi, Mrs. James."

Her furrowed eyebrows quickly vanished as a smile crept along her face. "Hello, dear," she sweetly greeted me. "I thought I heard voices out here, but I didn't know you were coming over."

I uncomfortably shifted my weight onto my right foot. "Oh, Scott didn't tell you?"

She waved a hand at me. "No, but come in! It's cold out there."

The weather was definitely warming up, but she was right. It was still cold out. I walked into the house and shrugged my coat off. Where the hell was Scott? His mom had already made her way to the kitchen where I could smell she was cooking something and I didn't see his dad anywhere in sight.

It's not like I really felt like a guest in Scott's house, anymore. I could make my way to his bedroom on my own. I first met his parents when they invited me over for dinner in January. I was nervous and I don't know if Scott telling me that they were "dying to meet me" made me more nervous or more at ease. Regardless, I was ready to pop a Xanax before driving to his house that night. I refrained from that drug use, but I regretted that decision when I saw Jenna sitting down at the dining room table.

Of course, Jenna was home the weekend that I was going to meet Scott's parents. What if she told his parents that I was over the night they were out of town? If Jenna mentioned this information during dinner, I'd probably throw myself on my steak knife. I was lucky that it didn't come to that. 

Scott's parents began asking me questions. I didn't have trouble with their relatively direct questions. I can do parents. I just couldn't help but feel like Jenna was hating on me. I hadn't seen her since our last encounter and she wasn't really saying anything.

"Jenna, aren't you taking a psychology course?" Scott's mom asked. I gulped. His mom, with all her good intentions, was about to make us interact.

"Yeah," Jenna said as she played with the food on her plate.

I tried to quietly clear my throat but I think it was louder than I intended. I saw Scott give me an encouraging look. "What class are you taking?" I asked.

Jenna looked up at me. She didn't look judgmental anymore. She just looked bored at the whole evening. "I took Intro last year. I'm taking Developmental now."

"I've taken Developmental twice," I said. I was really grasping at straws here to make the conversation work.

"Don't you have a paper due next week?" Scott asked and I couldn't have asked him to interject at a more perfect time.

"Oh, a paper?" I asked. "Want me to look over it for you?"

Jenna glanced up at me and her eyes kind of lit up. You'd think I just offered her a million dollars.

So, that night I "looked over" her paper. She really didn't have anything but a bunch of notes scribbled in pink pen, but it was fine. I've written plenty of papers with less information.

As I helped her format her paper, we actually began to bond. Over the next few weeks, she opened up more and more to me. Now, she'd actually text me when something happened at school. It was like I had another little sister.

I saw Scott's parents most nights that I hung out at his house. I was beginning to feel more comfortable with them but it was still a little awkward at times. I mean, they must've known I was boning their son in the other room, right?

I was finally at Scott's bedroom and as I lightly pushed the door fully open, I saw Scott. Asleep. Fully dressed on top of the comforter.

I let out a sigh before walking over to him. I softly shook him and he woke up. "Hey, babe," he said in a raspy voice.

"You fell asleep on me," I playfully replied as I formed my lips into a pout.

Scott smiled. "Well, I'm awake now," he said as he pulled me down onto the bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment