Friday, April 17, 2015

Beer Garden: Part Two

I squinted my eyes. Yup. It was definitely Scott and I definitely didn't know the girl he was talking to. I took a deep breathe before jumping to any conclusions. I obviously didn't think Scott would do anything to hurt me, and if he did he obviously wouldn't be stupid enough to do it while I was there, but something about their body language didn't sit right with me.


I rolled my shoulders and tried to steady my step as I walked over to him. I was drunk but composed.

"There you are," I cheerfully greeted Scott without addressing the girl he was with. "I've been looking for you!"

"Hey, babe," he replied, kissing me so quickly on the cheek that I saw some of his beer spill out of his glass.


I pressed my lips together and turned my attention to this unknown girl.

“Hi, I’m Caroline,” I said as cheerfully as I could.

“Oh, Caroline,” Scott interjected. “This is Amy.”

I turned to him. “Oh, Amy,” I mimicked, emphasizing that simply giving me her name was not sufficient.

Scott stared at me for a second before turning to Amy. “Amy, this is my girlfriend, Caroline. I’ve told you about her.”

“Oh, the infamous girlfriend!” Amy shrieked.

I smiled while trying to suppress a look of confusion. “It’s so nice to meet you,” I managed to reply.

Amy stood up and pulled at the bottom of her dress. “Well, I better go find Bruce. It was nice running into you, Scott, and I hope I get to see you soon, Caroline!”

As she walked away, my mind started connecting dots. “Bruce,” I said out loud. “So I guess that was Bruce’s fiancĂ©?”

“Yeah, Amy, the one I talk to you about all the time,” Scott replied and I could see his jaw clench. Scott always tells me about this engaged couple he works with; Bruce and Amy. Bruce is higher up and Amy is a receptionist. Scott feels like she’s only after his money and the lifestyle Bruce could provide for her.

“Well,” I said putting my arms around his neck. “She’s not what I imagined her to look like.”

Scott let out a heavy breathe as he put his hand on my lower back. I could enjoy cuddling up to him in this secluded corner for a few minutes. He didn’t seem all that pleased with me, though.

“Caroline, you stormed over here like you just caught me in the act or something.”

I scrunched up my face at him. “No, I didn’t.”

“Yeah, you clearly thought something was going on.” Scott looked down at me. He looked legitimately hurt.

“I didn’t mean to,” I quietly replied, looking off to the side. I could see all my friends several feet away, talking and laughing. “I just didn’t know who she was,” I began. “If you saw me off in the corner with some guy, you wouldn’t like it.”

“I trust you,” he shot back. “I mean, don’t you trust me?”

I looked back into his eyes and they were pleading with me. I suddenly felt so guilty, even though my logical side was telling me that he was overreacting. I was mainly wondering when I’d be able to escape this conversation to get another drink.

“Of course I trust you,” I said. “I just wanted to see who she was, okay?” Before he could answer, I grabbed his hand and insisted we go to the bar. Martin and Jessica were waiting for drinks when we walked over.

“Hey, you two,” I quickly greeted them. I needed Scott to forget about our almost, sort of fight as soon as possible.

Martin turned to me and I sensed a bit of uneasiness in his expression. “Where have you two been hiding?”

I laughed off Martin’s question and turned to look at Scott. He was trying to get the bartender’s attention and I couldn’t tell if he had dropped the Amy issue yet or not. It’s not like I walked over and attacked the girl for Pete’s sake!

He ordered us each some type of apple flavored ale and I took a big gulp as soon as I got it. I needed to drink more.

The rest of the night was drama free and I enjoyed catching up with all of my friends. Around 2, most of us decided to head back to the train station. Once seated on the subway, I rested my head on Scott’s shoulder. “Are you mad at me?” I drunkenly asked.

“No, Caroline,” Scott replied rubbing my shoulder. “I just don’t enjoy feeling like you don’t trust me. I would never do anything to hurt you.”

“I know,” I replied as I closed my eyes. Scott seemed awake enough so it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world if I fell asleep on his shoulder. He continued talking though.

“I’ve never cheated on a girlfriend. Ever. And I’ve never lied to you. Not once.” I was beginning to realize how drunk Scott really was. He would never talk about this with me sober.

“I know,” I simply responded again. I didn’t know what else to say. Was this really still a discussion?

“If there’s one thing that’s going to kill this relationship, it’s jealousy.”

I lifted my head and looked at him. He was sitting straight and didn’t turn to look at me. “That’s not going to happen,” I said.

“Okay, good. It’s just Jenna was so jealous and I don’t want to be in a relationship like that again.”

 I silently nodded. I was kind of shocked. Scott never talked about Jenna with me. I really didn’t know much about their relationship at all.


The subway suddenly came to a stop and our conversation ended there, as well. I really wanted to know more about what caused him and Jenna to break up, but I didn’t feel like prying. I was just glad that Scott didn’t want our relationship to end like theirs did.

6 comments:

  1. Chris - @nylonlover69 on IG/TwitterApril 17, 2015 at 6:32 AM

    Hmmmm. You def over reacted.

    Wonder if the subway stopping suddenly in the middle of the night will cause drama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it was a SLIGHT over reaction :-p

      Delete
  2. I don't think she overreacted. He was in a corner alone with a strange woman. She went over and said hello. It's not like she went all "wtf" on him.. He overreacted. Cause you can be damn sure he'd have done it too. He has issues feeling like he's trusted from his ex. He shouldn't being that into the relationship with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm glad it seems that some people feel it was an overreaction and others feel it wasn't! Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah it was totally an overreaction on his part. I don't know how she could have been any calmer or rational about it. She walked over and introduced herself. Does he want her to not speak to people he's talking to?

      Delete
    3. Yeah, there might be more to it but you'll have to keep reading to find out :-p

      Delete