Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Break Down: Part One

The following week wasn't too exciting. Scott hadn't brought up the "jealousy" incident again and I was more than happy to drop it. I never really act jealous with him and I'm sure he's smart enough to know how lucky he is that I'm not more insecure. I know he's surrounded by gorgeous girls in his office all week and he goes to plenty of happy hours without me, where I'm sure a good looking guy like him has his temptations. But I really do trust him. Whenever I had a moment to think during the week, though, my mind wandered to his comment about Jenna. What happened to them? I know it takes two to tango, so I couldn't imagine Jenna being the whole problem. Why didn't they work out and what if the same thing happened to us? That's what I was truly concerned about.

I put it all out of my mind, though. After all, Scott and I were doing great.

I managed to score off on Good Friday, which made me feel like I had so much more free time than I actually did. I spent the day doing errands I had been putting off, like returning that unflattering dress and taking my dog to the groomers. Anna asked me to meet her at her school to watch a track meet because apparently she has a crush on the coach. I seriously can't keep up with this girl.

So, I told her I'd leave once I picked up my dog and dropped him off at my house. On my way home from the groomer, I went over a pretty bad pothole but thought nothing of it. Until, that is, I felt my car driving funny on the highway as I drove to meet Anna.

I wasn't sure what I was feeling, but got off at the next exit. I checked three of my tires and thought I was in the clear. Then, I got to my front right tire. It was completely torn and flat.

I know it was a complete overreaction, and I knew it at the time also, but I just got back in my car and started crying. I was so frustrated. I tried to compose myself and texted my brother to see if he was around. Anna's school was a good 45 minutes away in traffic and I had driven for about 30 minutes so I knew even if he was home, it would take him at least that long to come help me. I checked my truck and of course, there was no spare. My sister had gotten a flat a few months before while borrowing my car, so I assumed she hadn't put the spare back.

As I shut my trunk, I saw an emergency vehicle making its way off the highway. He stopped on the grassy patch I had pulled over on and asked what was wrong.

"Do you have a spare?" He asked after I told him I had a flat. I shook my head no and he looked disappointed. "If you had a spare, we change it for free. I can call you a tow truck but it's going to cost you $150 just to hook it up." I could feel my eyes watering again.

I didn't even care about the money at this point, but knew that my dad and brother would laugh in my face and be a little annoyed if I got my car towed when they are both mechanics. I told the emergency vehicle driver that someone was coming to get me but thanked him for stopping.

My brother texted me back that he'd be able to get me but it would take about an hour. I scrolled to Scott's name in my phone. My finger lingered over his name but I knew he was still swamped at work and didn't want to bother him. I put my phone down and let out a deep breathe of frustration.

I looked out onto the road, envious of all the cars driving by. I looked around at all the stores on the main road. I couldn't pretend I didn't know what town I was in.

It was Mike's town. He lived less than five minutes away.

Mike was my first boyfriend and I had barely talked to him in over a year. But, when we did talk, it was friendly. There was really no romance left. If we were just friends, and I happen to break down literally three minutes from his home, I shouldn't call him, should I?

I couldn't call him. I shouldn't. I mean, would it be so bad?

I was stuck there for an hour and starving. Regardless, I was going to grab a slice of pizza from a place I saw across the street.

Before I could stop myself, I fired off a quick text to Mike, simply stating that I got a flat tire and was going to grab a slice of pizza with the name of the pizza place.

I quickly put my phone into my bag and gathered my things. I locked my car before making my way across the street.

I sat down with my slice of greek salad pizza and diet soda. I took my phone out of my bag. No text from Mike. I mentally shrugged. It was probably a dumb idea to see my ex-boyfriend, even if I felt like there were no feelings there anymore. I mean, I was in a happy relationship and I didn't even know what he had been up to.

I started scrolling through Instagram when I remembered that Anna was still waiting for me. I sent her a quick text explaining to her what happened before stuffing the slice into my mouth. I was thoroughly enjoying my moment of solitude when it was interrupted by a familiar voice.

"Why, hello there."

I looked up, still mid bite, to see Mike's face, still attractive, smiling down at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment