Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Meeting Kim

The first voice I heard was somewhat high pitched and from the way she called out, "Tom?" in such an innocent tone, I concluded that it was his younger sister before she even walked out of the bedroom.

"Hey, Kim. This is Caroline," Tom replied as he motioned to me. "Caroline, this is Kim."

“Hi, it’s nice to meet you!” Kim said with a hand wave. Kim was thin, but looked somewhat muscular, like she definitely worked out. She had brownish hair with a slight red tint to it and really light skin. She was wearing a black tank top and plaid pajama shorts.

“It’s great to meet you, too,” I responded with a big smile.

I assumed that Tom and I would just hang out alone on his couch and watch TV. I presumed his sister and mom were in the bedroom, but that we’d have a little bit of privacy in a separate room.

I was surprised, though, when Kim sat down at the end of the couch and Tom followed. I sat down at the other end of the couch with Tom sitting in the middle.

“So, how was dinner?” Kim asked as she rested her chin on her elbow.

“It was good,” Tom replied. “How was the beach?”

“Nice,” Kim replied. “Mom was being such a pain, though.”

“Is she asleep?” Tom asked.

“Yeah, she passed out after we watched the Bachelor on demand.”

While I kind of felt like an outsider during this entire exchange, I couldn’t help but feel somewhat relieved that Tom’s mom was asleep. I like to mentally and physically prepare somewhat before meeting a parent.

“So how long have you lived in Santa Monica, Caroline?”

“About a year and a half,” I replied a little too quickly. I could feel myself becoming awkward in this whole situation. It’s not that Kim or Tom gave me any reason to feel that way, but I just felt like the entire situation was kind of strange. I mean, I was getting along with Kim but why did she come out here to talk to us?

She asked me how I liked it here and I mentioned a few of my favorite things before asking her where she lived.

“Wow, Tom. You clearly told her a lot about me!” Kim teased.

Tom laughed and told me that Kim lives in Arizona. She works for a marketing company there.

We continued talking for about a half hour. I didn’t originally intend to stay over for long, so I was wondering if Tom and I were going to get any alone time together.

“Well, I’m exhausted,” Kim finally said as she stood up and stretched her arms far above her head. “I’ll see you in the morning, Tom.”

“Good night,” Tom replied.

“It was so nice to meet you, Kim,” I said with a smile. I really felt comfortable with her already and I was glad she seemed so down to earth.

“You, too!” She responded. “Hold onto this one, Tom.”

Is that not the greatest thing to ever hear from a new flame’s family member or friend? I smiled at her before turning to view Tom’s response. He was smiling and nodding.

Once Kim was securely inside, Tom scooted closer to me, grabbed for his remote control, and put his arm around me. “So, what are you in the mood to watch?”

“I’m not going to make it through a whole movie,” I laughed. “Maybe something I’ve already seen?”

“Why don’t I just put on some TV,” Tom said before randomly choosing a station with a sitcom on it. After he put down the remote, he reached his other arm around me and we positioned ourselves into an optimal cuddling position.

We sat there for a few minutes before I spoke. “This feels nice.”

“Mmmmm,” Tom replied. “It really does.” After a moment, he continued. “But I know what would feel better.”

He moved so that we were now facing each other and then he kissed me. It was a deep, passionate kiss and his right hand was on my neck while his left hand was on my lower back. We made out like that for a while before coming up for air.

“So, you’re sister seems really nice,” I suddenly blurted out.

Tom playfully rolled his eyes. “I’m glad you think so. Good luck putting up with her.”

We went back to making out without going any further. I’m not sure if he was trying to be a gentleman or didn’t want to wake up his family, but it very much like high school and that was actually kind of invigorating. We just spent the rest of our evening really passionately making out on his sofa.

“I’m exhausted,” I finally responded before picking up my phone to order a ride. “I’m glad I came back here.”

“I’m more glad,” Tom replied before placing a single kiss on my neck. “I’m going to need to have you over again soon.”

“Oh yeah,” I asked with a giggle.

“Absolutely,” he replied. “And not when my family is visiting.”

“Sounds like a plan,” I replied before turning to him and kissing him again.

My ride was there within a few minutes. On the drive home, I thought back over the night and smiled.

The next day, I went to the gym and then to the beach with Shelby. It was nice to catch up with her but I tried to avoid conversations about my job as much as possible.

I went home and took a shower before ordering sushi to my apartment in preparation for a nice evening of catching up on my DVR.

Before the sushi arrived, I got a FaceTime call from Anna. I sat down and accepted it. “Hey, girl,” I immediately said.

“Hello,” Anna said in a slow, unnatural voice. “Guess what?”

“What?” I asked with hesitation.


Suddenly, a huge smile spread across Anna’s face and she held up her left hand. “I’m engaged!”

2 comments:

  1. For some reason I just can't get on board with Tom.. He's nice enough, but she just has such great chemistry with her boss.

    ReplyDelete