Thursday, July 6, 2017

Strong Margaritas

I can always tell when I'm actually into a guy based on my date preparation routine. For my first couple dates with Tom, I was enthusiastic as I picked out an outfit and did my make up, but if I'm being completely honest, I was kind of phoning it in. I get so nervous that I don't really keep all of the wonderful possibilities in mind. However, as I bopped my head to some 90s music while applying a new lip color, it occurred to me that I no longer felt that uncomfortable dread that I sometimes feel during the early stages of dating. My nerves were settled and I felt like I could finally start to feel relaxed around Tom.

Tom and I agreed to meet at a Mexican restaurant with outdoor seating for dinner. I wore a black tank with blue jeans and black wedges. I got to the restaurant a little early and Tom hadn’t arrived yet, so I took the opportunity to get a head start on drinking. I sat at the bar and ordered a watermelon margarita. I was tempted to take out my phone and start scrolling through work emails, but I was trying to keep different parts of my life compartmentalized. Work time was work time and free time was free time. It was nice to simply sit and relax without feeling like I had to use this extra time to accomplish anything.

By the time Tom arrived, I was about halfway through my margarita. “Hey, you,” he greeted me with a hand on my lower back as he sat on the stool next to me. “It looks like I have some catching up to do!”

I giggled, realizing how strong this margarita was and how fast I had drank it so far. “I’m just excited to eat,” I responded as I stood up. “Let’s get a table. I already know what I want to order.”

At that moment, Tom caught me off guard with a quick kiss on the lips. “This is why I like you. You know what you want.”

I could feel myself blushing as I thought about how disappointed he would when I inevitably became that girl who wasn’t able to pick a restaurant to save her life. He had me pegged so wrong.

The hostess seated us outside before Tom leaned back in his chair and asked, “So, how are you feeling?”

I was still super embarrassed that I passed out on our second date, but Tom was being so cool about it that I was almost happy it happened. “Yeah, sorry. I need to take better care of myself.”

“Eh, we all have those days,” he replied with a shrug. “I think you do a pretty good job with all the meals you prepare at home and those barre classes you’ve been attending. I’m at the gym five times a week, but I eat way too much fast food.”

I felt butterflies in my stomach. It was such a simple conversation, but it had been so long since a guy legitimately remembered the tiniest details of what I told him and showed a genuine interest in my mundane day-to-day activities. I barely ever told him about my meal prepping and I was surprised he actually remembered the exact fitness class I was currently trying out.

We ordered more drinks and nachos as we continued talking about work and our upcoming weekend activities. “My sister and mom are actually visiting for a week,” Tom informed me. “They arrived last night and they’re at the beach now.”

“Oh, I’m sorry,” I replied. “We could’ve gotten together another night.”

“No, no,” he said as he furrowed his eyebrows. “I wanted to see you. They’ll be here all week.”

I didn’t know much about his family, but I did know his younger sister was his only sibling. She was actually my age, while he was a couple years older than me.

After our nachos, we ordered entrees and another round of drinks. I switched from the strong margaritas to beer as I felt myself getting drunk.

By the time we finished and decided to head out, it was around 10 o’clock. “So,” Tom began as we started walking down the street, hand in hand. “It’s still kind of early. Would you want to come back with me and watch a movie or something?”

I liked the idea of “or something,” but I also didn’t want to ruin anything by moving too fast. Still, I was having a good time and didn’t really feel like going home so early. “Sure,” I responded with a smile. We walked to Tom’s car so he could drive us back to his apartment right outside Santa Monica.

Seeing a guy’s place for the first time is always intriguing to me. Would it be clean? Would it be decorated at all? How would the furniture be arranged?

He unlocked the front door before stepping aside and letting me step in first. It was dark for a moment before he flipped the light switch. I didn’t notice the usual stuff, like cleanliness or decorations, first. I noticed three suitcases sitting right in the middle of his living room.

“Wait,” I said as I turned to face him. “Is your family staying with you?”

Tom looked confused. “Yeah, did I not mention that?”

I guess I didn’t ask, but I assumed his mom and sister wouldn’t be staying with him for a week in his one bedroom apartment.

Before I even answered, Tom asked, “Is that a problem?”

“Oh my goodness, of course not,” I responded as I reached out and put a hand on his chest. The last thing I wanted him to think was that I was averse to meeting his family. I was just surprised he’d be okay with me possibly running into them so early.

“Okay, good,” he replied before pulling me in for a hug.


At that moment, I heard the bedroom door open.

2 comments: