Friday, December 26, 2014

The Results are In


Once the bathroom door closed, I began biting my nails. What was Anna going to do if this test was positive? I tried to completely eliminate the thought from my mind. Worrying for the next three minutes wouldn't help the situation at all.


I tip toed over to the door. I didn't want to be too intrusive, but the anticipation was driving me insane. It had only been a few seconds, even though they felt like hours, when I heard Anna gasp on the other side of the door. Fuck. How were the results ready so quick? Also, a gasp didn't seem like a good response. As I pondered whether it sounded like a response to relief or to terrible news, the door swung open.

My heart jumped into my throat as I stared at Anna with wide eyes. It took a couple of seconds for my brain to register that she was smiling.

"I got my period!" She exclaimed before throwing her arms around my neck. As she squeezed me tighter than I thought possible, I could see the pregnancy test sitting on the counter, unopened. At least I'd be able to save it for another pregnancy scare, even though I hoped I never had to deal with a situation like this again.

I let out a sigh of relief. "Thank goodness," I said into her hair as she rocked me back and fourth, maintaining her sturdy grip on me.

She let go of the hug and looked at me with a huge smile. I would compare it to the adult version of being told you're going to Disneyland.

"Merry fucking Christmas," Anna said.

I smiled back at her, but now that the fire was out, it was time to discuss fire safety.

"Anna, can you please promise me I'm not going to have to do this again next month?"

Anna looked down. "I know," she responded. "It won't happen again."

I put my hands on her shoulders. "Anna, I'm not trying to be a judgmental bitch, but you really need to promise me this time." The thing is, this wasn't the first time Anna came into trouble with her rather risky behaviors. Last spring, she thought she had herpes for a hot second but it ended up to just be razor burn.

Anna looked up at me. "You're right. I know I've said it before, but I'm going to like, make it my new year's resolution. For the last week, I've been lying in bed almost in tears at the thought of having a child with Martin, or even worse, a Tinder match I've met once."

Anna and I were on Amazon a minute later searching condoms. I suggested a particular type of Trojans that are really thin and guys say it feels like they're not even wearing a condom. She ordered a box of those, in addition to a more fun pack.

"If my mom opens this package, I'll die," she said as she signed into her account.

"That's why they put something innocent as the return address name!" I contemplated ordering some for myself, but Scott seemed to always be prepared for the occasion. I also have a gynecologist appointment in January, so I figured I'd talk to him about going on birth control at that point.

It was nearing seven o'clock at this point so Anna and I went out for margaritas to unwind. Once we were on our third round, Anna texted Martin and told him to head over. Scott was still at work but Martin showed up to have a drink before driving us home.

I walked into my house before taking out my phone and sending a quick text to Anna. "Remember what we talked about!"

Anna responded back seconds later. "Haha! He's in the pharmacy right now. I made him stop :)"

Feeling accomplished for the day, I went to sleep.

The next week was a blur of holiday shopping, baking, and cleaning. I contemplated inviting Scott over for Christmas Eve or Christmas, but I was kind of scared since he hadn't brought it up at all. The Sunday before Christmas, he asked me if I wanted to get breakfast and spend the day hanging out with him. I happily accepted and then he told me he'd have my present. I got butterflies from a combination of nerves and excitement.

I had picked him up a shirt from a store I knew he liked and a box of coconut chocolates that I knew were his favorite. It took me a while to settle on a nice gift that didn't seem like too much since we had just started dating.

I threw on an oversized silver sweater, leggings, and new black booties that I had bought myself. I braided my hair to the side, but wasn't sure if I was thrilled with the way it looked. I didn't have time to undo it before Scott picked me up, though.

We chatted about our weeks over french toast and caramel coffee concoctions before heading back to his house. His parents were out, again, and I was starting to feel self conscious that he didn't want me to meet them. I mean, he hadn't mentioned his plans for the holidays and I only went to his house when they were out. What the hell?

We went into his room where I saw two boxes on the bed. The boxes looked the exact same size as the two boxes I had in my giant Longchamp bag.

I was anxious and wanted to have him open his gifts first, so I handed the wrapped boxes to him. "You first," I said with a smile.

Scott smiled at me and gave me a peck on the lips before sitting down and ripping through the wrapping. He seemed to like the shirt and tried it on right away. I was stoked that it fit. He broke into the chocolates right away.

His gift totally kicked my gift's ass, though.

16 comments:

  1. Aww, I definitely understand needing to take time for yourself. I've really enjoyed reading this blog, and I hope you come back to it in the future. I really want to know what Caroline got for Christmas..

    http://sluttyisthenewblack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :). Yeah, I hope to continue the story, but I think breaks are good. I compare it in my head to a TV series. A lot of series go on those summer breaks and I think it probably helps the series overall.

      Delete
  2. So wait her and Martin had sex during her period?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! There's a lot that can be assumed there and I won't make any definitive statements about it. Her first day may be very light or they've been hooking up for long enough that it doesn't bother either of them. Maybe she just wanted him to get condoms for another time. Haha, this was a great point though! I should've addressed that.

      Delete
  3. So wait, people actually care about having sex while on your period ?

    Just kidding, I know some people hate it. I'm gonna go with, he just doesn't care. I've never met a guy who did. It's always only been women that are weird about it.
    Which I find odd. That time of the month sucks enough without not having sex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, I've heard both sides. Some girls are all for it and some are so against it. I've met guys who represent both sides also.

      Delete
  4. I am really hoping for Caroline and Moose to get together before you're done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm glad there are still Moose supporters!

      Delete
  5. I haven't posted before but wanted to let you know that I have really enjoyed your blog and hope that it continues after you have had a break! Good luck with everything and hope to see you back writing again! Also thanks for taking the time to post next week - looking forward to reading the posts - take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amber! I'm glad you've enjoyed reading so much :)

      Delete
  6. Take the time off, happy holidays too.

    www.elinainlondon.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really hope you come back after a short break (like tv shows as you mentioned above). I love reading your blog and will certainly miss it. Good luck with everything and I sure hope you return!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much! I'm glad you've enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  8. Ohmygoodness! I started reading your blog when you first started and of course stopped after u left. I had seen that u had come back when I saw u commenting on other blogs, and then today I see you're leaving again! Lol I know life happens and I'm happy I came back to read this next episode of Caroline.
    You will be missed! Happy 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! I'm glad you came back to catch up and I hope you got to read all the posts since I came back in May :).

      Delete