Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Two Weeks

It's been over two weeks since my actual birthday and it has flown by, just like it always does. There's something about having a birthday 16 days before Christmas that makes the time disappear. I guess a lot of people feel that way around the holidays, though.

Anna needed supplies from the craft store Friday and since my semester was officially over at this point, I gladly tagged along. She picked me up at my house and we were on our way.

"I feel so relieved," I said to her after we drove through Starbucks to get lattes. "I don't know how I managed to get through this semester and get a boyfriend."

Anna mildly laughed. "Yeah, didn't you just break up with a guy before the semester started because you weren't going to have time for one?"

I shot her some serious side eye, which I'm not sure she saw since she was driving. "He broke up with me," I replied before actually cracking a smile.

"True, I forgot," she said with a smile. "Well, Scott's like a million times better, so looks like you won."

"It's not a competition," I said back, even though I did feel kind of victorious. It was true that Justin and I sort of broke up over my busy schedule, but that didn't mean I couldn't have a boyfriend. It feels like Scott and I are just in so much more of a mature relationship. We don't need to be in constant communication and I don't know, knowing someone is by my side actually motivates me to focus much more while I'm at school. I kind of want to make Scott proud.

I began telling Anna about Scott and I spending the night at the hotel after my birthday outing. I was so glad Scott and I finally had sex, and that it was awesome, so I felt like shouting it from rooftops. Telling Anna in the craft store was sufficient, though.

She silently looked for her supplies, nodding as I also told her about the night before when I went over Scott's house and we slept together for the second time. Both times were good, but I could tell it was getting better as we learned to move with each other.

Anna is usually all about the sex stories, so I was starting to get a little concerned at her eery quietness. "What's going on with you?" I finally asked.

"Nothing," she said without looking at me. After a few seconds of silence, she continued. "I just can't find the right mason jar."

I looked around at the nearby shelves. Anna literally became Goldilocks at that moment. I held up one and she said it was too small. I held up a slightly bigger one and she said it was too big. I searched some more and found one right in the middle. "I found it. The perfect one."

Anna stared at it for a few seconds before she let her head drop and her hands elevated to her face. She was crying.

As she quietly cried, I stood there frozen. I had no idea what I did or what to do. I'm surprised I didn't drop the mason jar, which would've made a real scene. I carefully placed the mason jar down before walking over to Anna and rubbing her shoulders.

"Anna, talk to me," I whispered. I hadn't seen Anna this emotional in a long time.

She looked up and wiped the tears from her eyes as she looked around to make sure nobody was staring at her. She stared down at her finger nails before speaking.

"I'm late."

I stared at her. "What?" I asked, completely oblivious.

She looked into my eyes. Her whole face was slightly puffy. "I'm late," she repeated. "Two weeks."

"Fuck," I quietly responded, realizing what she meant. "Well, that doesn't mean anything."

Anna let out a sigh. "I'm never late, Caroline."

I gulped before taking a deep breathe. "Martin?" I asked, not sure what else to say.

Anna shrugged. "Most likely, but it could be someone else."

I didn't even want to get into that at that moment. No matter who it was, Anna wasn't ready to have a kid with any of her casual hook ups. I reached forward and gave Anna a strong embrace. "Everything's going to be okay." Even though I was saying that, Anna and I both knew there was no certainty there.

I took Anna's keys from her and told her we were going to the pharmacy. Then, we'd drive to my house and get a better idea of what to do next. "I'm not going to leave your side, no matter where this leads."

"Thank you so much, Caroline," Anna said as tears filled her eyes again. "I know it's my fault. I'm such a fucking idiot."

I knew exactly what Anna meant. We've had multiple discussions about her lack of safe sex practices. She's not on birth control and if the guy doesn't bring out a condom, she doesn't think about it at all. Now wasn't the time to scold her for that, though. It was very possible that she was about to see the real consequences of her actions anyway.

Once we pulled up in front of the pharmacy, I hopped out without saying a word. I found the pregnancy tests right next to the tampons I always buy. I picked up a test that looked reliable and walked over to the back counter. I tried to compose myself so the cashier would think I was buying a pregnancy test because I was married and wanted to be pregnant.

I got back in the car and drove to my house without saying anything. I was thrilled when I parked the car and saw nobody else was home.

We walked into the house and reached the bathroom door. I passed her the test and smiled.

"I love you, Caroline," Anna said.

"I love you, too," I replied.

4 comments:

  1. I know it was supposed to be serious, but I couldn't help but laugh at the "buying a pregnancy test because I was married and wanted to be pregnant" comment. Buying them is so much easier when you're married. No judgment from cashiers.
    That said, if she is pregnant this blogs going to get serious fast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, right?! There's definitely the happy buying of the test versus the sad buying of the test.

      Delete
  2. Great post! I loved the more serious tone. Can't wait to find out more!

    ReplyDelete